[SOLVED] Laptop UPgrades options

Jan 15, 2019
Hi,
I have the HP 17.3 AMD-8-6410 APU w/ Radeon 5 Graphics 2.0ghz 6.0 RAM laptop and wanted to know what upgrade options I have for this laptop? Or should I get a new one? Thanks in advance,

Solution
The RAM can slightly improve the computer performance when they are paired in size and speed, running a feature called "dual-channel", so if you can change the 2GB module that your laptop has and put on its spot a 4GB module with the same specs than the other 4GB module, you will get this feature and additionally a little more room if you use to have tons of applications or tabs in the navigator opened and that kind of stuff. Anyways formatting the PC is a cleaning that will definitely improve its performance and changing the hard drive for an SSD will dramatically improve it.

Anyways, the laptop con reduce its performance if it is being overheated because of accumulated dirt on the cooling system, you can check this installing...

Phazoner

Distinguished
What do you want to do with that laptop? Only very selected enthusiast laptops let you change the CPU and/or the GPU, in most of the cases, like yours, your options are limited to extending the RAM or changing the drives. If you want the laptop for multimedia, then a formatting and/or a SSD will do the magic. But if you want to play with the laptop, you need a new one.

Jan 15, 2019
Right now, I have 6GB of RAM in the laptop. I guess increase speed alittle. I do not know much about computers. It will not be for gaming. I was just looking for options. It seems like my computer is running slow and thought something could be upgraded to increase the speed of the laptop.

Phazoner

Distinguished
The RAM can slightly improve the computer performance when they are paired in size and speed, running a feature called "dual-channel", so if you can change the 2GB module that your laptop has and put on its spot a 4GB module with the same specs than the other 4GB module, you will get this feature and additionally a little more room if you use to have tons of applications or tabs in the navigator opened and that kind of stuff. Anyways formatting the PC is a cleaning that will definitely improve its performance and changing the hard drive for an SSD will dramatically improve it.

Anyways, the laptop con reduce its performance if it is being overheated because of accumulated dirt on the cooling system, you can check this installing Speedfan and looking there the CPU cores temperature, which is bad if being over 70ºC when only navigating, watching movies or the mail, that kind of stuff. If there are temperature issues, opening the laptop to clean it is easy but you can always ask for professional help, and also for the RAM and SSD upgrades, but could be a little expensive.

Solution