May 11, 2023
My laptop is HP EliteBook 840 G3.

First Problem: Laptop will not run from direct power source. It will run only from battery. Then it started not charging the battery. Battery was charging only after overnight shutdown. After 10 to 12 hours of break.

My solution: I changed the power adapter. Then sent it to repair shop. They did their best. Finally they changed my motherboard. I changed from core i5 to core i7 motherboard. Then the laptop was running without battery. The battery was charging anytime I want.

Second problem: Just since 12 October I am facing same problem again. This time my laptop will not run from direct power source. It will not run without battery from direct power source. The battery will charge after 10-12 hours of break only.

Note: I am currently visiting another country for treatment. Therefore using a different electricity source. I'm using 3 pin adapter. I didn’t change my old bios battery and old battery. When full charged my battery is giving more than 4 hour backup.

maybe the charging port is faulty (again)
the charger is faulty or the cable

is it the G3 or G7 laptop?

reset the BIOS (remove all batteries)

replace the main battery

did you alter any settings in windows ?

update all drivers using the HP support homepage

Reactions: shrafibd
May 11, 2023
maybe the charging port is faulty (again)
the charger is faulty or the cable

is it the G3 or G7 laptop?

reset the BIOS (remove all batteries)

replace the main battery

did you alter any settings in windows ?

update all drivers using the HP support homepage
Its HP Elitbook 840 G3 laptop.

Did you mean I need to change the main battery?

Should I change the BIOS battery too?

I didn’t do anything but I did Windows update just 4/5 days before 12 October

May 11, 2023
because you replaced the motherboard, the cmos battery should be fine, or did you take the one from your old motherboard? then replace it as well.

update the BIOS

update the firmware of the battery management
They did not provide me any new battery with the new motherboard. Thats why I am using the old battery with the old cable that connects the battery with BIOS the motherboard. BTW BIOS and CMOS battery is same?

Ok I am updating. I'll let you know. But why don't my laptop runs on direct power source when I connect it to the powerboard? Before it was running without the battery. But now it doesn't run without battery!

May 11, 2023
May 11, 2023
Well I have bought a new power adapter. But now I am facing another problem. This time my battery is not charging while the laptop runs from direct power source. Even I turned off the laptop but the battery is not charging!

May 11, 2023
does the new charger have enough power?
how much voltage and wattage?

cmos battery = bios battery

maybe the main battery is faulty
Its a 60W original HP charger. I bought it from a repair shop as they are selling only the 2nd hand chargers. Now I see the charger is charging the battery only when my laptop is turned off. It runs my laptop from direct power source too but don't charge the battery when I run from direct power source.

get into bios and have a look at the battery/power settings, if something can be altered to charge all the time

whats the exact model of your charger? originally 65 Watt would be for your laptop, i think

TRENDING THREADS