[SOLVED] Laptop with external monitor blurry

SumTing

Honorable
Nov 5, 2015
Hello community,

Can you help me with the following issue:
I have a gaming laptop MSI GP63 (This one specifically) connected to external monitor via HDMI Port / Display Port (mini dp to dp). External monitor as the primary
Ever since I use this setup, I notice that I always see fuzzy/blurry text on my external monitor when viewing video, in-game or picture with small texts.

My current setup
Monitor : AOC 24G2 as primary
Resolution 1920 x 1080p at 100% (recommended)
Laptop Resolution 1920 x 1080p at 125% (recommended)
cleartype on

I have tried :
changing both resolutions to 100% or both to 125%
use the windows DPI fix
use duplicate display settings
use second screen only settings
change program combability to overwrite DPI and use system enhanced
updated GPU drivers

None of these work

Blurry might not be the correct terms, maybe Jagged?
View: https://imgur.com/a/ucrUuyG
- in Here both resolutions at 100%
For me the external monitor one looks weird.

View: https://imgur.com/a/VtdCn53
- Testing in WoW. This one is weird, resolution at 100% give me unreadable text, but at 200% it's totally fine.

I also noticed in some games, playing with 1080p is a bit blurry on my external monitor

Suggestion would be appreciated, thanks.

Solution
You might want to see if your laptop has any BIOS updates pending. I'd then proceed to look into the OS and see if it's on the latest version (20H2 if you're on Windows 10), then use DDU to uninstall your drivers, reinstall the latest drivers for your GPU after sourcing them from Nvidia's support site.

Install the driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You might also want to use the HDMI port alone with another monitor.

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to see if your laptop has any BIOS updates pending. I'd then proceed to look into the OS and see if it's on the latest version (20H2 if you're on Windows 10), then use DDU to uninstall your drivers, reinstall the latest drivers for your GPU after sourcing them from Nvidia's support site.

Install the driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You might also want to use the HDMI port alone with another monitor.

Solution
HDMI to DisplayPort conversion for 1080p and above resolutions before HDMI 2.0 does not work well because monitor can't be detected correctly in computer side. Your laptop have HDMI 1.4 so you are affected too. Do not use HDMI to DisplayPort cable, but DisplayPort connection directly in a way which is more appropriate for you. Eq

Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.
Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter + DisplayPort cable.

where Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable is best option. This also will allow to use variable refresh rate in monitor in G-Sync Compatible mode (enable in Nvidia Control Panel).