[SOLVED] Laptop with two drives practically only uses one drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

clsrunner03

Reputable
Dec 29, 2017
I have an HP Pavilion 15z-cw100 laptop with a 128 GB SSD and a 500GB hard drive. The SSD is the C drive with Windows on it. The problem is that everything is downloading onto the SSD and it's almost full now. I've tried moving files from one drive to the other but all that really did was mess up Solidworks lol. I also tried changing all the default download locations in Windows settings but that didn't seem like it did anything.

Is there any way to fix this. To move stuff from one drive to the other?

As you have found out, 120gb is generally unsatisfactory for a windows C drive.

If you have any sort of a budget at all, replace the C drive with at least a 250gb or better a 500gb ssd.
500gb should cost you <$100.
Most ssd makers have move/clone utilities the make the conversion.
Samsung EVO would be my pick.
You will fix your space issue, and in the process you will find that data and apps on a ssd vs. the HDD will greatly improve the quickness of the laptop.

I have an HP Pavilion 15z-cw100 laptop with a 128 GB SSD and a 500GB hard drive. The SSD is the C drive with Windows on it. The problem is that everything is downloading onto the SSD and it's almost full now. I've tried moving files from one drive to the other but all that really did was mess up Solidworks lol. I also tried changing all the default download locations in Windows settings but that didn't seem like it did anything.

Is there any way to fix this. To move stuff from one drive to the other?
Only you know what sort of stuff your downloading.
Look into disk cleanup and ccleaner just to tidy up a little.

As has been mentioned perhaps 128GB is not a good fit for your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.