Question Laptop Won't Power Up Via Battery After I Upgraded RAM and SSD

Jun 18, 2024
The battery being connected to the motherboard on my 2021 ROG Zephyrus G14 prevents it from turning on, even though it is charged. This issue persists even when the laptop is plugged in. However, if the laptop is plugged in with the battery disconnected from the motherboard, it does turn on and function like normal. Before you ask, I did not use metal tools, nor did I drop any screws, and I made sure to disconnect the battery connector evenly and drain the power by holding the power button for 30 seconds before changing any components. I really don't know what could be the issue, considering the motherboard is obviously not fried because the laptop works when only connected to the AC adapter. Has anyone else had a problem like this before? For the life of me, I cannot find any cases of this occurring. I have tried to reseat the battery cable like five times with no different result. For more information, the battery was at 100% when I started all of this, so if that information helps, there you go. Also, when I was first disconnecting the battery, I don’t think I heard any sparks, but when I reconnected it the first time, the laptop worked like normal afterwards, but I did hear some sparks as I was reconnecting it. I then plugged it in and turned it on like normal. For context, it was after that that I thought I had successfully changed the components and booted up Clonezilla to clone a copy of my old SSD onto the new one. But as I thought it was working, I decided to shower, and when I came back, my computer wasn't even showing the charging light when connected to the wall and wasn't turning on regardless. So, that's when I troubleshooted and figured out that it still works if the battery is disconnected. Odd situation. Any help would be appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

While the battery is disconnected from the laptop and the laptop is disconnected from the wall, press and hold down the power button for 30seconds. Reseat the battery and make sure it's connected securely.

You've stated you performed a ram and SSD upgrade, might want to pass on their links as well.

Jun 18, 2024
Hey! I did that actually just before you said to do it, and the laptop still wasn't turning on from the battery after I turned it off again, drained the power, and plugged in the battery. But I just plugged it into the wall after rescrewing all the screws, and now it is turning on and booting like normal, and it even says the battery is charging, but something weird is that the battery started at 1%. It's at 6% now, but that's odd because it was definitely at 100% before this process began, and it hasn't been used since. I'm not sure if, once it says it has charged back to 100%, I should unplug it and see if it runs off the battery alone, or what else to do from here. However, here is the hardware I installed:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hd...-gb-ddr4-3200-sodimm-cl20-memory-kf432s20ib16

While the battery issue was persisting, I just taped the connector to insulate it and proceeded and succeeded at cloning my original 512 GB SSD to the new 2 TB one using Clonezilla and GParted.

Jun 18, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

While the battery is disconnected from the laptop and the laptop is disconnected from the wall, press and hold down the power button for 30seconds. Reseat the battery and make sure it's connected securely.

You've stated you performed a ram and SSD upgrade, might want to pass on their links as well.
I saw from a bunch of people that if you don't unplug the battery the mobo easily fries, so I didn't want to risk it. Plus, in the video I watched they also disconnected the battery. Something interesting just happened, though. I basically plugged the battery back in and screwed everything back together, checked if it would turn on (it didn't), and then plugged it in to see if it would turn on on the charger, and it did, but it started charging the battery from 0%, which is super odd considering it definitely was at 100% when I started the whole process of all of this. I waited an hour for it to get to about 90% and unplugged the laptop from the charger, and now it's working on battery again. Really weird. Maybe there is some chip on the motherboard that prevents frying things by disabling the battery until the battery charge can be assessed by the system?