Question Laptop's AC Adapter exploded (kinda) ?

Dec 29, 2021
I was just using my Dell Latitude 3330 laptop for around 30 minutes, and my laptop was at 14% battery, so i plugged in my charger to my laptop and to my electric socket, BUT my speaker ( plugged to my electric socket and not to my laptop) makes a sound, a WEIRD sound. Suddenly my house electricity just turn off, i turn it back again and i plug my laptop charger to a different electrical socket, but my electricity turned off suddenly again. I try to smell my AC Adapter and it smells weird.

My questions are :
  1. Does it effects to my laptop?
  2. Why it's broken and makes that weird smell?

sorry for the bad english

Ralston18

Titan
Your English is fine.

As I understand your description the AC Adapter has failed in some manner resulting in an electrical short circuit. And that short circuit is causing a dangerous electrical current flow so the house breaker is tripping to stop that dangerous current. Failing to stop the current could result in a fire.

Do not use that AC Adapter any more.

Hopefully when the AC Adapter failed the laptop was protected. Some of the current may have gone through the speakers - they need to be checked as well.

However, if plugging anything else (a lamp for example) into that outlet again turns off the electricity then you need an professional electrician to check and fix the outlet.

Any remaining warranty on the Dell Latitude and/or the AC Adapter? In any case contact Dell and report the problem.

Dec 29, 2021
Your English is fine.

As I understand your description the AC Adapter has failed in some manner resulting in an electrical short circuit. And that short circuit is causing a dangerous electrical current flow so the house breaker is tripping to stop that dangerous current. Failing to stop the current could result in a fire.

Do not use that AC Adapter any more.

Hopefully when the AC Adapter failed the laptop was protected. Some of the current may have gone through the speakers - they need to be checked as well.

However, if plugging anything else (a lamp for example) into that outlet again turns off the electricity then you need an professional electrician to check and fix the outlet.

Any remaining warranty on the Dell Latitude and/or the AC Adapter? In any case contact Dell and report the problem.

Thanks for the answer but i don't have any warranty because it's a second hand laptop.

Also i just bought a new charger with the same volt and ampere. And also my battery seems kinda weird, because when i charge it, it stucks to 80% , but suddenly it's fully charged. After that, i unplug the charger, and when the battery is at 98%, it says "2 hours and 50 minutes (98%)" it seems normal right? But when it's on 97% , it shows that the battery is 3 hours remaining.

Is that the effect from the AC adapter?

Ralston18

Titan
What makes it all difficult is that there is really no way to know the real sources and details of the products (e.g. chargers) being purchased.

Or, in other words, being sold to you.

There are many counterfeit and otherwise low end products being sold everywhere. Ethernet cable is good example.

Likewise for chargers and batteries.

And being a second hand laptop further complicates things - absolutely no idea what has happened to or has been done to that laptop.

Do you have any access to vendors that you can trust to provide real Dell products?

Number one requirement being a real OEM charger.

Dec 29, 2021
What makes it all difficult is that there is really no way to know the real sources and details of the products (e.g. chargers) being purchased.

Or, in other words, being sold to you.

There are many counterfeit and otherwise low end products being sold everywhere. Ethernet cable is good example.

Likewise for chargers and batteries.

And being a second hand laptop further complicates things - absolutely no idea what has happened to or has been done to that laptop.

Do you have any access to vendors that you can trust to provide real Dell products?

Number one requirement being a real OEM charger.

i have no clue where to find trusted place to buy real deal dell products. Because i try searching all the components for the laptop on the official site but it's overpriced.

The charger, battery, all the laptop component is OEM, i bought it from an online store, its still new and came with the original windows. But the charger just broken and makes that weird smell from the 'shorting' power cord that i have.