Laptop's Disk Use is 99%!

kpinchy14

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
I just bought an Acer Aspire E1-472P laptop and noticed that my disk use is usually 95%+ anytime its on. Looking at my processes in the task manager, I see that the programs using the most of the Disk use is Service Host: Local System (14) and System. Is there any way to tone down my disk use somehow? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Go to Start and search "Indexing Options". When the Indexing Options window appears, check to see if it says that indexing is complete. If it is still running, let it sit for a few hours and see if it makes any progress. If no progress is being made after a couple hours, click the Advanced button and then click Rebuild in the new window that appears to rebuild the index from scratch.

I've seen systems get stuck trying to index files before, making no progress but still taxing the system with significant disk usage.

kpinchy14

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

Well I bought it 2 weeks ago but I barely used it. However, the laptop I received was the display model at Costco, so it might have been out there for who knows how long.

Go to Start and search "Indexing Options". When the Indexing Options window appears, check to see if it says that indexing is complete. If it is still running, let it sit for a few hours and see if it makes any progress. If no progress is being made after a couple hours, click the Advanced button and then click Rebuild in the new window that appears to rebuild the index from scratch.

I've seen systems get stuck trying to index files before, making no progress but still taxing the system with significant disk usage.

Solution
Sounds like you maybe infected, or the HDD is faulty. Personally I would do the following first:

Download and run SPECCY, copy and paste the first tab to show your idle temps
Get Can Air dust out the bunnies and use paint brush on the vents

Did you install all Windows Updates? Including options except BING? Check them and repeat till ALL are installed.
Download and run Slim Drivers, install all the latest updates for alot of the other things 'under the hood' the video card interfaces with, but you don't need to reboot until you do the last update

Remove whatever AV your using and get AVIRA http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-free-ant... (or go to www.filehippo.com and download Comodo/Panda or AVG (AVAST! was hacked so I don't recommend them anymore)) and do a full system scan - this repeatedly has resolved alot of people issue relying on MS Essentials.
Download Malwarebytes do a full system scan (AV doesn't pick up alot of malware) - this resolved almost ALL other similar posts to date as most had Malware the AV didn't pick up.
Repeat the AV/Malware scans till the system comes up clean.

After all this is done (since we do not know your system nor know if all this was done since the 'problems' occurred) and let us know the status of each of these. PLEASE DO NOT SKIP ANY or tell us 'you did it before', we are addressing this issue as it is right now, so let's do them 'again' if necessary just to make sure nothing got 'in' / messed up before you posted to Tom's.

Last thing would be to contact Acer / get receipt and bring it back advising them after all these steps to prove it wasn't' something (but the email said I love you how was I to know it was a virus) you did.