laptops... in need of advice please

tomeryaul

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
OK i'll just put everything i know i want or need, then ask my questions and hopefully at the end it will all be clear for both sides.(me and you).

i want to buy a laptop,
price is not an issue and i do have the money to spend but i do know that many times buying "the most expensive" might not be buying "the best for me".

I want a large screen so i wouldn't accept anything less then 15" and up. the larger the Hard Disk the better and i really don't care about SSD much so if its there its there if its not then no worries. on a less important note it will have Win 8.1 and i like to have many programs and games installed "just in case".
as far as its uses go:
I will be building a small network on VMWARE because i am studying MCSA and i want actual practice.
i am also into pc gaming from old to the new on my free time so i'd like a laptop that can hold it together with its cooling and performance on that department as well.
other then that its the usual stuff, like surfing emailing chatting. and i am the type that likes to open 10-20 tabs and/or windows of internet pages and sometimes quite a few programs running in the background. also watch videos and movies so high quality display would also be great. and that can also be a burden on the cooling of the device as well as performance.
the laptop will not be used so much on traveling. it will be used more in a stationary capacity and in most of those cases plugged in. only every once in a while it will be used while traveling.

i am not an expert but i know my way around PC gaming systems. i am OK with smartphones but the last time i owned and actually used a laptop was 15 years ago. i still have it and it still works (i checked lol) but i think its time for an upgrade... yeah.....

questions (soft of):
i started looking at laptops suited for me and i got a bit overwhelmed... OK a lot overwhelmed.
first there is the companies. DELL vs HP vs TOSHIBA. vs LENOVO vs ASUS vs god knows what others are out there. i am out of breath just thinking about it let alone saying it. pros, cons and advice in general would be helpful here.

second what should i be looking for in the details thats unique to laptops.

third. i believe it will stay with me for a few years so i was thinking something that would handle next gen stuff as well? or is PC logic and laptop logic slightly different? i don't know, i am just asking.

and third... (or forth for those who are counting) feel free to help out in any other way you see fit.
all i am asking is for a simplification on an overwhelming info but any help is welcomed.

thank you for your time and i am sorry for writing so much.