Question Large Ultrawide Monitor Advice

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished
Hi Everyone,

Looking at my latest monitor upgrade options and need some advice. I currently have an Acer Predator X34 and would like to make the jump to a 49 inch ultrawide, but I’m having a hard time deciding. It will be used for both gaming and work.

The Odyssey G9 looks appealing, but I’ve seen lots of complaints with it about backlight bleed. Aside from that, the list of pros seems fairly long. I like that it has side by side from 2 sources like some of its other competitors, and while I would have liked it to have a built in KVM, that’s not a dealbreaker. And as I run a 3080 Ti, G-Sync is nice too. The 1000R curvature is also pretty wowsers and seems to be the only monitor with HDR1000.

The LG / Dell 49 inch alternatives are also nice, but the LG 49wq95c-w is limited to only HDR400 / 144 Hz and the Dell u4919dw is only 60 Hz and no G-Sync / variable refresh as a result. And they’re near flat curvature comparatively.

I’ve looked at some others too, but those seem the top 3. Curious if anyone out there has had any personal experience with any of all of them for some reasonable amount of time who can offer some feedback and suggestions. I’ve also seen some of the other upcoming models, I.e. Corsair bendable OLED and wonder if I should wait for those before making a decision.

Thanks in advance!

NGL, QD-OLED is pretty impressive. I'd be looking at QD-OLED or OLED primarily.

I'm not a fan of <1500R curvature. Sure, 1000R makes a near-perfect radius around your face, but it's pretty extreme.

What are your reasons for wanting to go to 49" instead of 34"? Or is it more the 32:9 aspect ratio? The 32:9 aspect ratio is pretty niche. Not optimistic that QD-OLED will exceed 21:9.

What sort of upgrade timeline are you on?

Last edited:

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished
Thanks for the reply :) it’s not so much aspect ratio so much as it is the simple fact that I can multitask way better on it. The 34 ultrawide was such a boon to my productivity and I feel a 49 ultrawide could take that to the next level.

Not in a rush to upgrade really, and I can wait 6-8 months to see if what’s around the corner is an improvement. I could deal with a slightly reduced curvature, just wish the Dell and LG were a little better than 3800R. And that a few more models also had HDR1000 and G-Sync so I could make more of an apples to apples comparison, but it is what it is.

Thanks for the reply :) it’s not so much aspect ratio so much as it is the simple fact that I can multitask way better on it. The 34 ultrawide was such a boon to my productivity and I feel a 49 ultrawide could take that to the next level.
A 49" 32:9 monitor is equivalent two 27" 16:9 monitors (height and width).

A 49" 32:9 and a 34: 21:9 monitor are the same height. So I think the aspect ratio has everything to do with the way you'll be able to multitask better...right?

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished
A 49" 32:9 monitor is equivalent two 27" 16:9 monitors (height and width).

A 49" 32:9 and a 34: 21:9 monitor are the same height. So I think the aspect ratio has everything to do with the way you'll be able to multitask better...right?

I guess when you put it that way, I’ll paraphrase - if there were a 49 inch 21:9 display, I could do a more direct comparison in terms of how the aspect ratios at those sizes would impact my multitasking. Given that the 49 inchers only come in the 32:9 variety, I guess by default yes, the 32:9 ratio plays a role.

Overall, it was about having a larger ultrawide display vs. just straight size, as I’ve tried working on a 49 inch 4K and didn’t like the experience. In the absence of 49 inch 21:9’s, then yeah, your argument wins :)

Yes, 21:9 caps at ~34"

I agree with your sentiment toward huge 16:9 aspect ratios. Sure, you can fit 4 windows in a 2x2 array, but they get sooo tall to view from a desk.

Have you looked at the Samsung C49RG9? Maybe by the time you're spending that much, a G9 is the better choice for minimal upcharge.

I see two paths:
  • 49" 32:9 screens are very limited. Not difficult to read reviews of the couple of monitors that fit that bill.
  • Could add a 27" 16:9 monitor beside your existing 34" 21:9 for even more width than what a single 49" would provide.
    • Adding a second screen would allow you to use windows' top-bump-maximize drag feature....although you're probably pretty used to using the Win+arrow keys on your existing setup.
    • Problem with adding a second screen is alignment. Would you shift your 34" to one side or keep it centered as your "main" display. If remaining centered, the 2nd monitor would be pretty far off to one side. Probably need 2 additional monitors to balance everything out!!

Last edited:

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished
The single monitor is where it’s at for sure. I was using 2 monitors before the X34 and I’ll never go back again.

I did check out the RG9 and the Odyssey G9 is definitely the better option for the price difference. Especially since I have the opportunity of purchasing a slightly used one right now for $900 CDN. Ditto the Dell and LG at around the same price. The complaints about excess backlight bleed on the Odyssey models are what make me hesitate, and it seems it’s a crap shoot.

The lack of VESA mount isn’t a big deal for the Corsair when its time comes, as I have a Secret Lab Magnus Pro XL desk on the way, so real estate won’t be a problem. Nice to have, but not a deal breaker. Perhaps I may just wait a little longer for the 2023 models. Still… $900 for an Odyssey G9 is appealing!

I appreciate all your feedback. I’ll post again someday when the time comes and I’ve made a decision. Cheers!