Last hope for HDD from NAS

gembob

Honorable
Nov 9, 2016
I have an Iomega NAS that recently stopped working. At Iomega's direction I pulled the HDD out, connected it to a few different computers via a usb adapter (tested this adapter with other HDD to ensure it was the adapter) and have gone through several troubleshooting steps with their support. Yesterday they informed me that the HDD needs to be replaced and sent a link for their imager in hopes that it will help me recover my files. Before doing that, I wanted to check in here and see if there was any other last steps you guys would recommend before doing that. Here's what I've tried so far:
- attempted to run SeaTools for Windows to check the status of the drive (on two different comps). In neither instance did SeaTools even recognize the HDD
- attempted to use Windows built in disk check utility by right-clicking my computer, going to manage, then disk management. The comp recognizes that something is attached, but tells me there is no media. I also attempted to change the drive letter in the disk management program, but that didn't help (the drive letter changed on the comp I changed it on, but not on the second comp, so maybe I did something wrong).
-attempted to use the command prompt to check the drive. When I try to access using the original drive letter (F:) I get 'The system cannot find the drive specified'. When I try to access using the drive letter that I changed to (X:) I get 'The device is not ready'.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

gembob

Honorable
Nov 9, 2016

It's an Iomega HMND2 and it is a single drive NAS. I'm not sure if I can connect directly to an SATA port, all I have is a laptop and looks too thin to open up and plug the hard drive into?

gembob

Honorable
Nov 9, 2016

Okay I'm out of town now but can try when I get home. However, Im not exactly sure what that means? Can you point me to a detailed guide of what to actually do?

G

If the drive uses a linux partition, it's probably EXT4 or something like that. Windows cannot read that. You could start a live linux session (as others have suggested), and then plug in the USB. The drive will then be "seen". Another option from the distro suggested would be a Ubuntu live session. It might be more user friendly than sysresccd.

You won't be able to plug the hard-drive to a laptop directly, but a extra sata port on a desktop would work.

gembob

Honorable
Nov 9, 2016

Okay I will take a look at that site and may end up PMing you - thank you for your help.

gembob

Honorable
Nov 9, 2016

I've gone to that site and am going to give it a try. However, I was wondering if I should try Iomega's imager first? Is there any downsize to trying their imager? Could it potentially delete anything or make it impossible to recover via the linux CD?

S Haran

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
Haven't used the Iomega imager but I expect it won't delete anything. If your drive is failing there is always a risk of making things worse any time you operate on the drive.

If this is high value data send it out for pro recovery.