News Latest Windows 10 Up Causes Frame Rates to Plummet and BSODs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I participated in letting people know that I wasn't having these problems so as to clear the air that these problems were not universal. As well, you should also realize that when people have problems in their systems it may, or may not, be due to the OS they are running. I see that several others have chimed in with similar reports. So now you know that it isn't just me...;)
Agreed, letting others know that this is not a universal issue is good. It is also good to inform others that their issues after a windows update may be unrelated in the sense that the update was a catalyst for underlying issues they already had. Personally, in my experience, just about every bleeding edge windows 10 update I have gotten introduces issues with existing features or causes corruption because their update process is less than stellar.

My issue with what you said was it was attributing motive to the creation of the article beyond what was said in it. This is not only illogical but impossible to know unless you were the author or affiliated with Toms and their practices.

Last edited:
This is crazy in my mind!

Even if I take out the tens of thousands of Windows systems I've supported in career environments, and just include my personal computers, I have had updates mess up every OS I've used from Windows 98 on up. Windows 10 being the worst, by far.
Now, I don't mean that it always messes up enough to cause an OS reload. Sometimes it's a minor driver issues with the camera, mic, printer, sound card, etc., a setting that gets reset, or something stupid like an update messing up perfmon logging, but, yeah, I've seen it a lot.
I find it odd that people update and say there are no issues and everything is fine, but people like us in IT know that these patches usually mess up many small things or occasionally introduce bad issues like account corruption or windows search functionality becoming completely defunct.

USAFRet

Titan
I find it odd that people update and say there are no issues and everything is fine, but people like us in IT know that these patches usually mess up many small things or occasionally introduce bad issues like account corruption or windows search functionality becoming completely defunct.
Its not that there are no issues.
There are issues with every update, across all operating systems.
Just that they are not universal.

"There a bug in Update X that deletes user data!"
The internets go wild. "I'm never updating again!
Meanwhile, the vast majority of people did not have that issue.

(I'm in IT as well)

Reactions: hotaru.hino
I have this update and bug. It seems to only affect Valheim for me, and it's random. usually valheim is fine, sometimes (especially with high particle effects) performance tanks. I noticed the gpu spikes hard when the bug happens.

a simple reboot fixes if for me, for a time.

Its not that there are no issues.
There are issues with every update, across all operating systems.
Just that they are not universal.

"There a bug in Update X that deletes user data!"
The internets go wild. "I'm never updating again!

(I'm in IT as well)
I agree that the title can be misconstrued as clickbait or perhaps a bit sensational. I personally just try to read the title and see if it aligns with the content of the piece, and in this case I think it does quite well. These are issues that are being reported en masse with the update so the title is justified in my opinion. Others seem to disagree which is fine. I just don't like when people downplay or disregard an entire article because they read the title and write it off as clickbait when in actuality is a public service announcement for those more concerned about potentially harmful "updates" from Microsoft...

If you have the Pro version, you can defer updates by up to three months with an update policy. That way, Microsoft has three months to screw others over and pull an update before you get screwed. Or you can disable automatic updates altogether. I do both so I don't get screwed by a botched patch when I do a manual update.
Windows 10 will eventually force a feture update with Pro and even Enterprise (non-LTSC). I believe the longest you could defer was 18 months via GP but Microsoft has changed this number a few times.
That is, unless you are running Enterprise LTSC. With LTSC 2019 I get 10 years of cumulative, security, and critical updates without Cortana, Edge, Windows Store, or feature upgrades. Microsoft has now knocked the support life for the next version of LTSC to just 5 years and has tried hard to disuade people from using it.

USAFRet

Titan
The default pause for Pro is 7 or 35 days.
SMFyycL.jpg

You can probably change that in GPO, but not 'forever'.

And here I am claiming that I never had a problem (well, almost never, but it's basically 0) with a Windows update and outright get called out because Windows updates apparently "never work, they always break your computer".

People think Steve Burke is Tech Jesus. I like to think I am for pulling off miracles like this. 🙃

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Is this performance bug specific to the Unity game engine? I was wondering why performance in some Unity games (particularly VRChat) seemed way worse and more unstable than normal. This update could be the culprit given that Windows keeps deciding it's best to apply updates ASAP instead of waiting 2 weeks.

I have not noticed any problems with Unreal games or UE4. I have been having an ongoing issue with an Epson printer showing "driver not available" in Windows 10 and requiring a reinstall each time I want to use it and then get mad at it for complaining it's out of ink again even when it's not.

Microsoft really needs to do more testing.

USAFRet

Titan
The problem is... testing what? There's literally millions of things that people run on Windows. Do you want Microsoft to test every single one of them?

And if so, who's going to pay for it?
Far worse than "millions".

Every PC and its hardware and software stack is unique.
Every single one.

My system is different than it was yesterday, because I installed some new fonts.

Colif

Win 11 Master
They get burned either way, if they did test every combo people would write about the lack of updates, why hasn't win 10 been updated in years, etc.
Whereas release a patch that may break other things, the sky is falling

Stop reading the articles and its amazing how well things work... this can be applied to many articles now. Bad news sells, good news, not so much.

They get burned either way, if they did test every combo people would write about the lack of updates, why hasn't win 10 been updated in years, etc.
Whereas release a patch that may break other things, the sky is falling

Stop reading the articles and its amazing how well things work... this can be applied to many articles now. Bad news sells, good news, not so much.
I mean, it's good to know if there are potential issues. The problem is everyone thinks the probability of said issue happening is 100%.

Reactions: Colif
My AMD system only seemed to have issues occasionally trying to open Samsung Magician from the System Tray. It would crash occasionally, but I could restart it from my Start Menu without issue so I've had no real reason to uninstall the update.

Now my son's Intel system had issues requiring the removal of the update. If he tried to load any of his Fallout games or Half-Life 2 (Steam), the Task Bar outline would appear as it attempted to open and then it wouldn't open. No crash, no error message, nothing, just wouldn't start. As for Samsung Magician on his system, it refused to open, always threw an error message. I uninstalled the update and everything went back to normal.

delazaren

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
past few days I was getting BSOD with an ID of BAD POOL CALLER I am not 100% sure if this is related to this article as I have done a system restore and paused the updates. All these years my system was pretty stable, I only got so many BSODs now with the latest updates. Not sure what to do as the relevant updates that Win10 wants to do are KB5001391, KB5001460 which are not part of the problem reported here.

I'm on version 21H1, OS build 19043.867, Feature experience 120.2212.3030.0

ra3tonite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I started having random crashes in Fornite. I recalled this article and removed the windows update. No more Fortnite crashes. After windows automatically reinstalled the update 7 days later, the crashes came back. I re-removed the update and the crashes went away. Thanks, Tom's Hardware.