lcd monitor tv

i'd like to buy an lcd- or plasma-tv (probably lcd), but if i connect a
computer to such a screen, do i get the quality i have with my
crt-computer-monitor? (assuming for example an XGA "1,024x768"
specification for the lcd-tv and a vga-connector on the tv(RGB) ).
What happens to the computer screen if you buy an tv with an aspect ratio of
16:9 or 4:3? it's that sort of questions that a book should provide.

tx very much

Hactar

In article <40c1bae9$0$8410$a0ced6e1@news.skynet.be>,
slurper <slurper1234@skynet.be> wrote:
> i'd like to buy an lcd- or plasma-tv (probably lcd), but if i connect a
> computer to such a screen, do i get the quality i have with my
> crt-computer-monitor?

I don't know whether the TV/monitor will be as sharp as a random monitor.
I suspect not; rather, that the TV will be optimized for images, and that
the monitor would be optimized for text. Got me, though; the TV/monitor may
be so good that even a non-optimal use would look pretty good.

> (assuming for example an XGA "1,024x768" specification for the lcd-tv and
> a vga-connector on the tv(RGB) ).

Why do that? Use some 16:9 resolution, such as 1280x720 or whatever. Then
at least the image is the correct shape, assuming square pixels.

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
"God does not play dice" -- Einstein

"slurper" <slurper1234@skynet.be> wrote in message
> i'd like to buy an lcd- or plasma-tv (probably lcd), but if i connect a
> computer to such a screen, do i get the quality i have with my
> crt-computer-monitor? (assuming for example an XGA "1,024x768"
> specification for the lcd-tv and a vga-connector on the tv(RGB) ).
> What happens to the computer screen if you buy an tv with an aspect ratio
of
> 16:9 or 4:3? it's that sort of questions that a book should provide.

With an LCD or plasma screen, you're dealing with fixed
pixels - so, unlike the CRT displays of the past, there is no
tradeoff between spot size and brightness, and so TVs and
monitors both resolve all the pixels on the screen. So as long
as you are driving the display at its preferred (native) format,
you'll see the same results in terms of quality with either TV
or computer input. But you DO want to drive it in its native
mode, whether 16:9 or 4:3, for optimum results - and your
computer should easily be capable of this.

Bob M.

Bob Myers wrote:

> "slurper" <slurper1234@skynet.be> wrote in message
>> i'd like to buy an lcd- or plasma-tv (probably lcd), but if i connect a
>> computer to such a screen, do i get the quality i have with my
>> crt-computer-monitor? (assuming for example an XGA "1,024x768"
>> specification for the lcd-tv and a vga-connector on the tv(RGB) ).
>> What happens to the computer screen if you buy an tv with an aspect ratio
> of
>> 16:9 or 4:3? it's that sort of questions that a book should provide.
>
> With an LCD or plasma screen, you're dealing with fixed
> pixels - so, unlike the CRT displays of the past, there is no
> tradeoff between spot size and brightness, and so TVs and
> monitors both resolve all the pixels on the screen. So as long
> as you are driving the display at its preferred (native) format,
> you'll see the same results in terms of quality with either TV
> or computer input. But you DO want to drive it in its native
> mode, whether 16:9 or 4:3, for optimum results - and your
> computer should easily be capable of this.

However if one is playing games they often are limited to a specific range
of 4:3 resolutions, which on a 16:9 monitor will either not use all the
available screen space or will be stretched horizontally depending on how
the monitor handles the signal--mine can go either way depending on which
options I've set.

This may or may not be a problem, depending on the game.

Also, the quality depends on the interface--I don't get near the image
quality out of component that I do out of DVI or VGA, but not all
televisions can accept a wide range of signals on the DVI or VGA inputs, so
that might not be an option depending on the set. If you're restricted to
component then the image quality is going to be somewhat dismal compared to
the same resolution displayed on a computer monitor.

At least that's my experience with my setup.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>However if one is playing games they often are limited to a specific range
>of 4:3 resolutions, which on a 16:9 monitor will either not use all the
>available screen space or will be stretched horizontally depending on how
>the monitor handles the signal--mine can go either way depending on which
>options I've set.

It will be interesting to see what direction computer displays go in,
once the "normal" TV is 16:9, which of course it already is on the
high-end. My guess is that monitors (and thus games and such) will go
16:9 as well.

"chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> It will be interesting to see what direction computer displays go in,
> once the "normal" TV is 16:9, which of course it already is on the
> high-end. My guess is that monitors (and thus games and such) will go
> 16:9 as well.

Well, "widescreen" at least. Oddly enough, 16:10 aspect ratios
(such as 1920 x 1200, instead of 1920 x 1080) seem to be
more popular in "computer" displays these days than 16:9 -
possibly because this still is a very good match to 16:9 content, but
lets you show such content full-scale while still leaving some pixels
on the top or bottom for toolbars, etc..

Bob M.