Leak Reveals Toshiba's Tegra 2, Android 2.2 Tablet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Way to save on the overhead while still charging more equipment manufacturers. Toshiba, Samsung, Sony: Wake up, your products don't sell well in the states anymore because you're selling watered down without putting the "e-cheap" logo. Asus is not hiding who they are, nor what they do. It's obvious their lineup doesn't compete with the top of the line, why make an inferior ipad (look at the specs, they don't lie) at the $499 price point? Nobody with a brain will buy it. Start developing now, finish in 18 months and put something out BETTER than the ipad, and sell it for LESS because moore's law caught up to your advantage.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Resolution may seem odd, but really HD isn't required unless you are watching on a big-ass TV, a 10" screen will give you no appreciation for HD whatsoever. HMDI output will take care of the HD output on a proper screen however.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I miss a CompactFlash slot. Think about it; wouldn't it be great to be able to view photos from a compact flash based camera on a tablet like this? And moreover, the compact flash cards are bigger and faster than SD/SDHC/SDXC cards as the form factor fits more memory and the 5.0 specification allows capacities up to 128 PB whereas SDXC only allows up to 2TB.
Also remember that no matter how big an SDXC card can be, you will alwas be able to pack at least four times as much into a CF card due to the physical limitation inherent in the size of the card. CF is also more open to standards than the SD design.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]g00ey[/nom]I miss a CompactFlash slot. Think about it; wouldn't it be great to be able to view photos from a compact flash based camera on a tablet like this? And moreover, the compact flash cards are bigger and faster than SD/SDHC/SDXC cards as the form factor fits more memory and the 5.0 specification allows capacities up to 128 PB whereas SDXC only allows up to 2TB. Also remember that no matter how big an SDXC card can be, you will alwas be able to pack at least four times as much into a CF card due to the physical limitation inherent in the size of the card. CF is also more open to standards than the SD design.[/citation]
CF have pins in the reader that can, and do, bend or snap off.
As the reader is integrated into the device when it happens you are screwed.
The only, but pretty big, failing of the CF format

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
[citation][nom]jeraldjunkmail[/nom]We need an edit button. I want to add that i am waiting for an android tablet that has the following specs:2GB of RAM, 1- 1.5ghz processor, HDMI output, 1080P screen (this has been available in 15 inch for at least three years on IBM and Sony notebooks), 5MPix camera, 3g and WIFI/N SD and USB slot, and 9 to 11 inch form factor. Wake me up when that happens so it can blow the freakin doors off of the IPad.[/citation]
Yes, and a battery life similar to a notebook with a quad sli gtx 480.

GET REAL! You don't need a powerhouse in a tablet, what I am looking for is something that goes long without a power socket, that is easy to use and open, supports cuda (for bcktrck4) and plays videos great. Why would you need a 1080p screen if you could only watch a movie or two on it, judging by the ssd/sd card size's.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
"up to seven hours of battery with mixed use" = "yes!! I can browse text for 4 hours and then watch a youtube video for 35 seconds, and then browse text for another 3 hours!"

G

many thanks to apple for their fine products. many thanks to toshiba samsung htc etc etc for making products that allow consumers to have choices like these. pretty cool stuff and getting better all the time

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]jeraldjunkmail[/nom]We need an edit button. I want to add that i am waiting for an android tablet that has the following specs:2GB of RAM, 1- 1.5ghz processor, HDMI output, 1080P screen (this has been available in 15 inch for at least three years on IBM and Sony notebooks), 5MPix camera, 3g and WIFI/N SD and USB slot, and 9 to 11 inch form factor. Wake me up when that happens so it can blow the freakin doors off of the IPad.[/citation]
That 1080p screen is overkill on a 10.1 inch tablet. I could show you a 1080p screen vs a 720p screen. Now on the other side of it 2 gigs of ram, and a dual snapdragon, would be cool. Not super necessary but would be nice.

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Do you realize how tiny ur icons and text would be on a 9 inch screen at 1920 x 1080p it would be completly unuseable. And android is designed for small res screens. Yes I agree windows blows at that res but android will be perfect at that high of a res. Also unless ur running at least 40 inches you'll have a tough time seeing a quality improvment at that small of a screen.

G

@thlillyr

Because using large icon size is just plan stupid..... but i do agree 1080 is not required, i'll happily accept 1600 x 900 or there and abouts

angalths

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I'd take a $200 tablet with lower specs over a $400 tablet with higher specs. These tablets aren't like real computers, and their purpose isn't the same either. For me, it's something you could pick up while watching TV to look something up. Screen resolution isn't as important in this (it's more important in a netbook which runs the Windows OS).

For me, the important specs are CPU and RAM. Also, I'd like to determine the likelihood it will receive future Android versions, because I think that is important as well.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Uggg, why do they keep making such a narrow portrait mode for tablets. Apple got it right, when you turn the iPad into portrait it doesn't look FUGLY or feel like you have limited space to work with.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]I am disappointed by the display (which is about just as bad as the iPad's display), but besides that, I don't see what makes you think that this tablet will be sluggish or have a 3h battery life. I use Froyo on a phone that has a very tiny battery and less power under the hood than a Tegra2 and it works nicely already, so I expect that this will be more than enough for what we do on tablets.[/citation]
The same reason my best friend's Droid X is crapping out after 2 - 2:30 hours of web surfing and you tube watching... and it suppose to have the best battery life from all the Adnroid phones. He is sooo pissed off....

ra3tonite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]sirdoug[/nom]Whats up with the surge of tablets? Who the heck uses tablets? Any of you guys use a tablet?[/citation]
tablets kick butt. they have a really cool comicbook application if ur into comics. really good for reading ebooks. and they are superior for late night web surfing while in bed. I really like the INSTANT ON feature of the ipad. it turns on in 1 second.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]samdsox[/nom]I once heard that if you took a water bottle and slapped a apple sticker on it, then idiots will buy it for 20 bucks.[/citation]

The only problem with this idea is that you could easily spend $40 on an Apple sticker..

Status
Not open for further replies.