News Leak suggests AMD's upcoming 'Turin' Zen 5 CPUs will support 4TB of RAM at 6000 MT/s

D

Deleted member 2731765

Besides the memory spec, it's also worth noting that the last-gen Zen 4 CPUs peaked at 96 lanes of PCIe 5.0, as opposed to the claimed maximum of 120 PCIe 5.0 lanes with this motherboard.

That's NOT correct. Kind of misleading info. 96 PCIe lanes are only applicable for the EPYC 8004-series processors codenamed SIENA. These are based on the SP6 socket.

Compared to the total 128 lanes of the connectivity found in the Genoa and Bergamo chips. 128 lanes of PCIe Gen 5 connectivity to peripherals (96 lanes in the EPYC 8004 Series and up to 160 lanes in EPYC 9004 Series 2-socket designs).

The exact same I/O die is being used in all 4th Gen EPYC processors, however their capabilities vary with how the die is connected to the outside world.

To put it in simple terms, the larger SP5 package can enable pins to carry 128 lanes of I/O bandwidth and 12 memory channels. The smaller SP6 package has fewer pins, so obviously the I/O die is connected to 96 lanes of I/O connectivity and six memory channels.

Also, the Tweet has got all the info wrong on the SP5 socket. Those specs are not very clear, including the PCIe lanes. I don't have time to go into much details, but take those leaked spec data with some caution.

SP5 already supports 12 channels and 6 TB of RAM. Is this just a particular system supporting less?

I think these specs should apply only for the Zen 5C cores. Since the upcoming TURIN lineup will be based on both Zen 5 & Zen 5C core architectures, these lower specs could be for a different SOCKET config, mostly sporting Zen 5C "dense" cores.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2731765

Oh BTW, I doubt this TURIN lineup will land up in retail before the end of 2024 though. at least the "C" core server variants. Rumors have been circulating for an early or mid-2025 launch, via insider AIB board forums.

TechyIT223

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 30, 2023
Oh BTW, I doubt this TURIN lineup will land up in retail before the end of 2024 though. at least the "C" core server variants. Rumors have been circulating for an early or mid-2025 launch, via insider AIB board forums.
What about the consumer client zen 5 desktop processors release date?

I'm more interested in a 6 or 8 core 3DVcache zen5 gaming monster.

D

Deleted member 2731765

I expect client Zen 5 CPUs to land around late Q3 2024 timeline. We need to first wait for AMD to announce and unveil these processors around Computex in JUNE.

If everything goes as planned, we can see these chips land up in retail shelves before the end of this year. Just don't expect any 3D-VCache SKUs though. These won't land until next year though, i.e. Q1/2 2025, assuming AMD has them booked in their pipeline.

Reactions: TechyIT223