LEAKED: Final Build of Windows 8 Hits the File-sharing Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Microsoft leaked this themselves, hoping to widen the Windows 8 user base as much as possible. More people using W8 = more people using Metro = more people paying 30% tax to buy crappy, broken apps.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Change the "metro" name? Yeah, because the word METRO is generic and should not be trademarked. For example, Apple. There cannot be another Apple computer company. But there are Apple Auto repair. Apple Drug stores, etc.

So I call BULL on the "Metro AG" thinking someone would be confusing a GUI codename with whatever Metro AG does.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I make my living with my PCs and there is not a chance in Hell that I try a new OS on a production machine before it comes with the equivalent of an SP1.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Change the "metro" name? So I call BULL on the "Metro AG" thinking someone would be confusing a GUI codename with whatever Metro AG does.[/citation]

Microsoft 90,000 employees.
Metro AG 280,000 employees.
They are one of the largest retailers in Europe. If you are M$ you sure do not want to piss 'em off.
Ah yes, and they are some 10 years older than M$ as well.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Microsoft 90,000 employees.Metro AG 280,000 employees.They are one of the largest retailers in Europe. If you are M$ you sure do not want to piss 'em off.Ah yes, and they are some 10 years older than M$ as well.[/citation]
And yet I have not heard of the company before today.

Everyone knows what Microsoft is.

njt

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]And yet I have not heard of the company before today.Everyone knows what Microsoft is.[/citation]
that's just because you're an ignorant. you're waving your flag here.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]And yet I have not heard of the company before today.Everyone knows what Microsoft is.[/citation]

Most Europeans do not know who Walmart or Sears are either.
Still, just because you do not know who they are does not mean they do not have the right to defend a well marketed name they took when Bill Gates was just 9 years old !

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
I have use Windows 3.1, 95, 98 SE, XP, Vista and now Windows 7. Out of all of them i think they finally got Windows 7 nearly perfect, except for the 1 disk=1 PC use. They messed with the defragmenter (as if every user is computer incompetent) but i have found a MUCH better one then what MS has ever had. Windows 8 doesn't look any better, maybe some extra features but nothing i heard yet i can use. For now im just going to stick with XP & Windows 7.

G

it leaked? well, clean it up with toilet paper. it belongs down the toilet

Seriously, I can't believe how many people on a tech site are defending Windows 8 in all these stories. Personally, I wouldn't use it if Microsoft did it away for free...and no, it's not because I'm too set in my ways to learn how to use "The design language formerly known as Metro". As long as Microsoft maintains the attitude that they can control what goes on my computer, to the point where they'll disable and remove programs, I'm sticking to Windows 7 and Linux.

Well, it doesn't help that no Metro app made a compelling case for its existence while I was testing the release preview, but still...my computer, Microsoft. Just because you own the operating system that's running it doesn't mean you get to tell me what I can and cannot do with it.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Microsoft 90,000 employees.Metro AG 280,000 employees.They are one of the largest retailers in Europe. If you are M$ you sure do not want to piss 'em off.Ah yes, and they are some 10 years older than M$ as well.[/citation]

Dumbest thing I ever heard. Microsoft is quite wealthy and has seen its share of lawsuits. I don't really think they're "afraid to piss people off" so much as they would like to "avoid lawsuits and bad publicity." Who cares how long a company has been around? Leadership/Board Members/Markets change. What does that have to do with anything? But seriously, you sound like you know what you are talking about...

G

"Well, it doesn't help that no Metro app made a compelling case for its existence while I was testing the release preview, but still...my computer, Microsoft. Just because you own the operating system that's running it doesn't mean you get to tell me what I can and cannot do with it."

no of they could they would be called APPLE!!

[citation][nom]54645654[/nom]"Well, it doesn't help that no Metro app made a compelling case for its existence while I was testing the release preview, but still...my computer, Microsoft. Just because you own the operating system that's running it doesn't mean you get to tell me what I can and cannot do with it."no of they could they would be called APPLE!![/citation]

[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]Seriously, I can't believe how many people on a tech site are defending Windows 8 in all these stories. Personally, I wouldn't use it if Microsoft did it away for free...and no, it's not because I'm too set in my ways to learn how to use "The design language formerly known as Metro". As long as Microsoft maintains the attitude that they can control what goes on my computer, to the point where they'll disable and remove programs, I'm sticking to Windows 7 and Linux.Well, it doesn't help that no Metro app made a compelling case for its existence while I was testing the release preview, but still...my computer, Microsoft. Just because you own the operating system that's running it doesn't mean you get to tell me what I can and cannot do with it.[/citation]

MS can't control what is and isn't on your computer. If you want a start menu, then you can install one yourself. Yes, you can even do that in the RTM. If you don't want Metro (or whatever MS ends up calling it) at all, then there are tricks to get rid of it, at least to an extent (granted the latest previews and the RTM don't make this as easy as it was in the dev preview). MS can only control what is in the default OS. They don't control what you do with it unless you let them.

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]They don't control what you do with it unless you let them.[/citation]

So you're telling me I can install Metro apps that don't come from the Microsoft store with Windows 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.