LEAKED: Final Build of Windows 8 Hits the File-sharing Sites

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyQril

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
i wont be interested in that crappy OS until someone get rid of the "i dont care what the hell is going to be called that used to be called Metro"

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I have tried to like Win8... I have been running it off and on since it was beta.
But... I just can't do it.
It's meant for a tablet, not a desktop.

I think MS is just screwing around till they make the next XP/7, just like they did with WinME....

[citation][nom]alcalde[/nom]So you're telling me I can install Metro apps that don't come from the Microsoft store with Windows 8?[/citation]

Didn't you already say that you don't want to use Metro? Whether or not there are Metro apps that can be installed outside of the Windows store seems fairly irrelevant at that point.

titan_90

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
I tried the RC and it was horrible. Metro makes my eyes bleed. Who the hell would download this garbage when you can download a much better Linux OS?

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

I didn't already say anything; that was my only post in the thread. :) I'm simply objecting to your statement that Microsoft won't have any control over one's PC that one doesn't let it have with Windows 8. The app store lock-in makes that statement simply untrue, and in fact it's a very worrisome development. Apple's been heading the same direction, but at a slower pace. Our desktops are slowly being turned into "appliances".

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

The irony is that a Windows 7 user would have a much easier time transitioning from Windows 7 to the Linux KDE desktop than from Windows 7 to Windows 8/Metro.

The fact is that most people here don't want to use Metro apps, so whether or not you can install them without MS allowing through their app store it is a moot point for the argument that was going on here. It most certainly doesn't worry me because I don't intend to use them. Furthermore, it is ultimately my choice, not Microsoft's, whether or not any such apps get on my computer, so yes, me using apps is not up to Microsoft and they have no control whatsoever over this.

berniercr

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
People, just ignore Metro. On a desktop or laptop, Metro is mostly optional. I use windows 8 every day at home, and it stays in Desktop Mode constantly. Every program you use on Windows 7, works fine on Windows 8. I can't wait until they let us have Windows 8 at work. If you stay in Desktop Mode, use ViStart or something to get back your start menu, and be careful how you launch things, you can stay in Desktop mode all the time. Windows 8 has a lot of improvements over Windows 7. It is faster, leaner, quicker booting, better at sleeping, better task manager, better file copy, better windows updating, and many many other features.

Did all you people who claimed to try Windows 8 never bother to try Desktop Mode? Leave Windows 8 in Desktop mode all the time, and it's just a much nicer version of Windows 7. I will probably pay Microsoft the $40 to get a legal upgrade of Windows 8. Give this a serious try guys. Dual boot windows 8, install ViStart to get a start menu, and stay in Desktop Mode most of the time. Try that for a month. You will eventually notice all the nice new features. You don't need to install antivirus anymore, you don't need to install daemon tools anymore. Those are built right in. The website I am building, doesn't work right in IE9, but it works fine in IE10. IE has finally caught up to Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.

deicided

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I'm happy to be able to see all my applications/ programs as an icon as opposed to scrolling through 300+ folders and sub folders just trying to find something and when you do find it and accidentally let the mouse wander to far you loose the whole lot and have to start from scratch...I'm sorry but a nice fast lean OS with easy access to all my applications right there when I start my machine is what I now prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.