News Leaked MSI slide mentions Arrow Lake Refresh — reignites hopes that LGA 1851 will last more than a single-generation

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I think there was a newer MLID leak on this, but in general it should be easy for Intel to do some kind of refresh even if they cancelled an 8+32 monster.

With "tiles", they can even update the IP blocks separately from each other, give it a better iGPU, NPU, whatever. Something better than increasing clocks by 100-200 MHz.

Jul 12, 2024
I think Intel is banking on it's 1.8A process being available and that's the rumor we got (it IS all just rumors at this point.)

With no date on that slide it's kind of nothing but a curiosity. We don't know if it was created before or after a rumor that Intel had cancelled the refresh. So, 🤷‍♂️

Jul 12, 2024
Intel needs to stop with the constant socket changes. One of the reasons AMD is so popular, even when performance is roughly even between the two, is upgrade path.
You know this came up in another forum. So I looked back on my unusually long history with personal computers (nearly all of it's history actually.)

I could only come up with replacing the 8088 on an IBM PC with an NEC version (circa 1986) as the only time I ever had a computer and replaced the processor with another in the same socket.

It's nearly impossible to do because pretty much everything advances, not just the CPU. On the other hand I've generally bought CPU's that were the top-of-the line at the time. So I can see someone who bought something like an Intel I-3 replacing it with an I-7 or I-9 a couple of years later.

It's just never been an issue for me, you build a new PC you get a new MB, drives, graphics, etc. because they all have advanced since the last one. I AM looking over that the old Lian Li 1000B battlewagon that's on it's 4th PC though. 😁

logainofhades

Titan
You know this came up in another forum. So I looked back on my unusually long history with personal computers (nearly all of it's history actually.)

I could only come up with replacing the 8088 on an IBM PC with an NEC version (circa 1986) as the only time I ever had a computer and replaced the processor with another in the same socket.

It's nearly impossible to do because pretty much everything advances, not just the CPU. On the other hand I've generally bought CPU's that were the top-of-the line at the time. So I can see someone who bought something like an Intel I-3 replacing it with an I-7 or I-9 a couple of years later.

It's just never been an issue for me, you build a new PC you get a new MB, drives, graphics, etc. because they all have advanced since the last one. I AM looking over that the old Lian Li 1000B battlewagon that's on it's 4th PC though. 😁

AM4 broke the mold on replacing everything. 1st-3rd gen Ryzen owners are still dropping in 5700x3d's into existing systems to get more life out of them, and getting basically the same gaming performance as a non x3d Zen4 chip. I went from a 3700x to a 5800x in my AMD rig myself, because what I play is so CPU dependent.

Jul 12, 2024
AM4 broke the mold on replacing everything. 1st-3rd gen Ryzen owners are still dropping in 5700x3d's into existing systems to get more life out of them, and getting basically the same gaming performance as a non x3d Zen4 chip. I went from a 3700x to a 5800x in my AMD rig myself, because what I play is so CPU dependent.
From what I've seen in the last 5 years or so, the only thing significantly CPU affected is 1080 gaming. And that strikes me as kind of ridiculous. Getting 168 FPS instead of 162 FPS is.... uh, what? I mean it's measurable, but is it even noticeable to the average human being?

I think, as a general rule, certainly there can be exceptions, CPU performance on gaming is somewhat over-valued these days. It almost isn't measurable at resolutions higher than 1080. Or maybe I'm just stuck in the old days when 40FPS was what we all strived for.

None of this is rhetorical BTW. My 9700K/1660 Super and 75hz monitor isn't exactly state-of-the art, but I built what I could during the COVID lock-in. (Definitely a new build coming in the new year.)

logainofhades

Titan
From what I've seen in the last 5 years or so, the only thing significantly CPU affected is 1080 gaming. And that strikes me as kind of ridiculous. Getting 168 FPS instead of 162 FPS is.... uh, what? I mean it's measurable, but is it even noticeable to the average human being?

I think, as a general rule, certainly there can be exceptions, CPU performance on gaming is somewhat over-valued these days. It almost isn't measurable at resolutions higher than 1080. Or maybe I'm just stuck in the old days when 40FPS was what we all strived for.

None of this is rhetorical BTW. My 9700K/1660 Super and 75hz monitor isn't exactly state-of-the art, but I built what I could during the COVID lock-in. (Definitely a new build coming in the new year.)

That is no longer the case.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98RR0FVQeqs

AM4 was an anomaly due to how far behind AMD. was starting from. I think that's part of the reason people have been disappointed by the jump from Zen 4 to Zen 5 when the gains are mostly a typical generational gain.
Thanks, I'll check it out!
Written version if you prefer: https://www.techspot.com/article/2837-cpu-performance-4k-gaming/

Intel never really comments on socket longevity, but I think this one is one they likely should have. It's definitely possible there will be more CPUs on LGA 1851, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

We know MTL-S was supposed to be the first CPU family on the socket and that was canceled.

Intel did keep the same physical socket from LGA 1156-1200 so if whatever was to come next is a situation similar to that it should be possible to release another CPU on 1851.