News Leaker says RTX 50-series GPUs will require substantially more power, with the RTX 5090 TDP jumping by over 100 watts

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Honestly, this is ridiculous. We already have a generation using a ton of power, producing a lot of heat, and an ongoing issue with a new power connector melting and/or catching fire.

Some dipstick at Nvidia "Hey, I know! Let's juice with even MORE wattage."

I thought one of the advantages of the more modern parts were increases in performance using less power. It seems that both the CPU and GPU manufacturers just threw all that out the window.

andrep74

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I also set my goal to 200W, and have even lowered my CPU power budget to achieve this. And while the limit is entirely arbitrary, I feel like a computer shouldn't draw the same power as *a hair dryer* just to play a video game.

I can't but wonder if this death spiral of power consumption is driven by irresponsible users, or else greedy corporations. It's a certainty that governments will step in and make sure that consumers cannot purchase graphics cards above a certain threshold wattage (maybe 100W?) at some point.

Reactions: Jagar123

DougMcC

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
I also set my goal to 200W, and have even lowered my CPU power budget to achieve this. And while the limit is entirely arbitrary, I feel like a computer shouldn't draw the same power as *a hair dryer* just to play a video game.

I can't but wonder if this death spiral of power consumption is driven by irresponsible users, or else greedy corporations. It's a certainty that governments will step in and make sure that consumers cannot purchase graphics cards above a certain threshold wattage (maybe 100W?) at some point.
Government action seems extremely unlikely. Particularly as a growing percentage of people who would have such high power PCs are now also running their own power plants.

Reactions: Heiro78

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I can't but wonder if this death spiral of power consumption is driven by irresponsible users, or else greedy corporations.
I probably fall under the irresponsible user category. Power is cheap where I live, and I have more than adequate cooling in my case. Outside of melting connectors, I'll take all the power I can get, as long as there has also been an improvement in efficiency per watt compared to the previous generation. The xx90 series (and previous x90 series) has always been about pushing the limits and maximizing performance. It's focused on power users, workstations, and enthusiasts who want or need everything they can get from a card. With the death of SLI, we can't just pop another card in and increase performance, though some workstation applications can scale with multi-GPU setups.

It's too early to tell what efficiency improvements have been made on Blackwell but looking forward to seeing details. Gotta put that 1600w PSU to use somehow!

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
Some guess work
5070: 220W
5080: 250~300W
5090: it's 2x 5080 dies glued together

16-pin 12VHPWR spec defines 600W per connector

So it's either 600W, or go back to the "ugly" mess of 32 cables on one card 12VHPWR was trying to solve.

Reactions: Heiro78

Heiro78

Great
Nov 20, 2023
Some guess work
5070: 220W
5080: 250~300W
5090: it's 2x 5080 dies glued together

16-pin 12VHPWR spec defines 600W per connector

So it's either 600W, or go back to the "ugly" mess of 32 cables on one card 12VHPWR was trying to solve.
It's scary to think that the card will run at 550w and only have a 50w buffer. I don't necessarily trust all the AIBs to properly cap the wattage

Heiro78

Great
Nov 20, 2023
I suppose this is an improvement then. But won't it be the same issue all over again? With multiple cables coming out? My setup uses an adapter from 8-pin to the 12VHPWR

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Two of the new connectors is about the same area as 3 8-pin. Weren't too many cards that reach 4 8-pin.

The alternative they could have done was the 336W EPS cables and just run a pair of those. Though there would have been dual 8-pin to EPS adapters in that scenario, so adapter cables either way.