[SOLVED] Learning Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 - desktop

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
So this is the first post in my ever-growing thread on my efforts to learn Ubuntu. I look forward to hearing from those of you who are familiar with Linux.

Hardware: HP 580T (2010). 12 GB RAM. 240GB SSD. PNY GeForce 250. 27" Flat Panel.
Old Software: Windows 7 was the original OS and then I took the free upgrade to Windows 10. And now Ubuntu.

Many reasons drove my decision to upgrade. First and foremost is stability. Ubuntu was easy to install AND all hardware worked right away. No changing settings or searching the internet for updated drivers.

MPEG-4 files didn't play as I received a message saying that the codec for MPEG-4 needed to be installed. As a work around, I installed VLC media player successfully. But I do want to understand how to find codecs and install them.

The other bump that I've hit is installing Private Internet Access. I know it installed, but, there isn't any icon for it in the applications menu. However, when I click on the drop down arrow located on the top right corner, under the Wi-Fi, it shows VPN. When I try to connect, it told me that a client update was required.

I've contacted PIA support, but they weren't much help, only suggesting I submit a trouble ticket. But being so new to Ubuntu, I'd rather discuss it here first so that I can clearly articulate the issue to support if I don't resolve it here.

Thoughts?

Dom

Solution
Installing Linux on that machine seems like a good choice.

However, when it comes to PIA, I have no experiences with that, but from a web search I found at least two (turned out to be windows only) interrresting post in other forums:

From Ubuntu forum
Cannot see icon/servers for PIA (Private Internet Access) on 17.10

Instead of the original url (I thaught was about Linux but was windows) I have a review of PIA
link to review

For the decoders, have a look at this video to see how to install:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0EdiN1IbXg
Installing Linux on that machine seems like a good choice.

However, when it comes to PIA, I have no experiences with that, but from a web search I found at least two (turned out to be windows only) interrresting post in other forums:

From Ubuntu forum
Cannot see icon/servers for PIA (Private Internet Access) on 17.10

Instead of the original url (I thaught was about Linux but was windows) I have a review of PIA
link to review

For the decoders, have a look at this video to see how to install:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0EdiN1IbXg

Solution