Question Leaving PC on overnight ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
I've just plugged my latest build (7950X) into a power meter and on its own and it pulls 135W when idle. This does not include the 30" monitor. When rendering the computer consumes a constant 340W.

I leave it running overnight because a one hour video takes 9 to 10 hours to process. Power where I live is equivalent to US $0.37 per kWhr. I switch the system off when I'm not using it to save money.

Other machines require less power. For example, my HP ML350p gen8 servers (eight hard disks per server) draw only 110W each when idle.

When I worked in large server halls, systems were powered on 24/7/365. A computer that has reached a stable operating temperature in a climate controlled room, will probably last longer than one switched on and off thousands of times during its life.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Idle? Or sleep? There's a marked difference as idle is still C0, 'on', it's just in a low power state. Sleep is C1 and down, where things not in use are turned off gradually, and the cpu enters an ultra-low power state where essentially the only thing actively on is the windows timers for mouse/keyboard to pull it out of sleep.

Reactions: helper800

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
as an answer to the opening post. I don't leave any of my three pc's on at night. My internet is limited, and there's really no reason to leave the pc turned on.. if I'm not gaming, chatting, doing something that involves going online.

another thing is, it's still summer here. I know the chance of a pc overheating and starting a house fire is slim ---- but still, I don't want to take that chance. I'm wary of house fire, and have two fire extinguishers always on the ready, one positioned in my room, and another one in the hallway. Every pc is turned off when we sleep at night.

Last edited:
My personal answer is to either have the computer on when it is doing work or in use, or it is off completely. This will minimize costs, and there is very little if any evidence that hundreds or even thousands of power cycles cause more or less wear and tear than leaving the PC in a sleep mode or higher power states.