Lenovo Delays Launch of Ion Netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

zambutu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
How can you guys put price caps on a "netbook", technology comes with a price. Should they leave the ion chipset out of netbooks completely then, or should they sell them at a loss? I'd rather pay a bit more for something better, than pay less and settle for something i'm not happy with. They'll cost what they need to charge. That said, 12" is getting too big for a "netbook" IMO; this is more like a cheap laptop

08nwsula

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
it's called a "netbook" because it's supposed to do really simple tasks such as surfing the internet. It's always nice to have a machine that is more powerful, but dumping all of this tech and money into such a device defeats the purpose. If you wanted to spend $500, just go get a laptop with twice the performance.

zambutu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
If basic web surfing is all you want then buy a first gen eeepc. I have a $1500 laptop with 3 times the performance of a curernt netbook, but its bigger than i want, heavier than i want, and the battery doesn't last. if i can get a smaller, lighter, more portable, longer battery life machine that will do what i need, for 1/3 the price...its a win. I want to be able to at least watch some movies in 720p on the go, run some simpler 3d games...

runswindows95

Distinguished
Netbooks also lack the resolution, screen size, and processing power of a notebook. They also lack the one thing that separates them from even the cheapest notebook: optical drive. As 08nwsula pointed, they were really designed as ultra-portable internet machines.

Far as Lenovo goes, it does make sense to wait till the newest OS comes out before launching a new product based on new hardware instead of using a seven year old OS. Maybe by its launch date, the price will drop.

krazyderek

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
[citation][nom]alvine[/nom]netbooks should not be more then 400. 500 is laptop territory[/citation]
Not a very good one...
I for one would buy a high end netbook over a low end notebook, but i value light weight, portability, and battery life out of a computer that isn't a desktop, maybe i'm the odd one. I hate optical drives and media, give me a flash drive to boot off or copy files over a DVD+/-RW any day. Give me better battery life and a decent weight i can actually carry in my hand for more then five minutes not requiring me to have a backpack with me at all times.
The only argument people are going to throw down against this is a gaming laptop, which in it's self is almost an oxymoron, but we'll probably all agree you're not playing anything on a 500$ notebook you can't play on a ion netbook. Not to mention the year or two lag in notebook graphics, and the renaming of mobile chipset's to inflate their worth.

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
$5oo? I've seen all types of deals for laptops in that range. I guess Win 7 might be the deal breaker, but will it run on the atom cpu properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.