Question Laptop shuts down when I plug the power adapter/charger is plugged in ?

Jul 15, 2024
Hi

Laptop model: Lenovo ThinkPad E15 Gen 3

I have a very confusing problem which depends more or less on the battery status. If the battery is loaded to 90%+ I can use my external charger (original power adapter (first one)) without problems. If the battery has less than 90% my laptop will shut down instantly after I plug the charger in.

What I have tried so far:
  • I checked the Batterie Life - Very good condition.
  • I ran the internal System Diagnostics (F10) - all is fine according to that.
  • Power options (Loading start at 70% and end at 95%) Doesn't matter. If the battery has 92% and i plug the power supply in it will hold 92%.
  • Another Charger for testing (90w Dell) - same problem, instant crash.
  • Battery is charging while plugged in, after the laptop crashed.
  • Laptop can run on battery only.
  • Laptop can run without battery - I removed the battery and used only the power adapter.
  • In sleep mode, laptop is charging (under 90%) but will not wake up.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help

Jul 15, 2024
I have only one power input jack (left side) and under linux ubuntu i have the same problem. So it might not be a reinstall problem.

In addition to the list:
(with Power Option switched off/on)
If the laptop battery is unter 90% and i plug in the power supply the indication lamp is orange.
If the laptop battery is above 90% and i plug in the power supply the indication lamp is blue.
Maybe that helps.