Lenovo IdeaCentre Q180 Claims "World's Smallest Desktop"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Lenovo's own specs list the Q150 as 6.05*6.8*0.85 versus the Q180 at 6.1*7.56*0.86. Their specs even call it a desktop PC.... and it's smaller... so wouldn't the Q150 be the smallest?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]If a company has the guts to claim that they have a "desktop" with "Atom" in it then that company has lost my respect.[/citation]

+ over 9000. Death to Atoms!

... and death to ANY underpowered small form-factor POS that claims to be a "desktop". Pain in the ass to maintain, pain in the ass to use, pain in the ass to fix.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
So if it is a htpc, is there a tuner card, and does it come with a bluray drive.

Only external as far as I can read,

so if it's a htpc, the only media you'll be consuming is video's of people falling over on youtube.

As the previous has mentioned, a llano would be a much better option at everything.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Oh come on, Toshiba, not an Atom CPU. You could have done so much better than to choose that particular one. There are a lot faster CPU's that don't run much hotter than Atom.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]villanim[/nom]Lenovo is not China. They may be based in China, but they have done business here for decades, first as an IBM partner manufacturing their Thinkpads for them, and then when IBM decided to get out of the PC business, they were the only ones IBM trusted with the brand they built, which is why they sold their PC division to Lenovo. Lenovo just makes a quality product that just works. You cannot say that about to many companies, especially Dell and HP. There is a reason Lenovo's sales increased 55% in the US while Dell's dropped 4%. Lenovo actually created jobs in the US by opening call centers here, and their parts distribution center here as well Georgia and Tennessee respectively) something that cannot be said for Dell, as they closed all their manufacturing plants here, and all their systems are built in CHINA!!![/citation]

So, by your twisted logic, Toyota isn't a Japanese company? Or Honda?

Profits are going to China. IBM sold their business because they wanted to get out of it, and wanted to make a deal they could live with. I worked at IBM, and the computers they were selling by the time they sold the business were junk. Total crap. Same stuff as Dell and HP. In the 80s and part of the 90s, they were extremely well made, but when the market became more of a commodity market, their products got worse and worse, until they didn't even want to be in the market.

If you buy a Lenovo, you are buying from a Chinese company. Profits are going there.

Their market share goes up because they undervalue their currency so much, it's cheap to make stuff. It's not easy to sell into China, because of this as well.

You can talk all the nonsense you want, but Lenovo is Chinese. China is our enemy. Companies like Dell or HP can leave China anytime they want, and will since their labor costs are going up, but Lenovo is Chinese, and will remain Chinese. Again, they are our enemy. It's high time people realize this.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Smallest desktop PC my rear. Back in 2003-2004, I saw pictures of this 2" cube with desktop IO that ran a flavor of Linux.

No to mention, picoITX boards are smaller.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]J3d1M1nD7r1cKs[/nom]What the heck is up with the garbo pricing? VIA's line is 3-5x better than this. And it's prolly more along the lines of core2/1st gen nehalem dual cores. This offering is garbage. ^[/citation]

Judging before even the product is announced. Hmm..

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4017/vias-dual-core-nano-vn1000-chipset-previewed/3

The dual core Nano doesn't even come close to the crippled Core 2 core based Pentium. Let's not exaggerate things. Don't even need to mention Nehalem based ones.

I don't know, that doesn't look 3-5x to me. More like 30-50%. Plus the D2700 is the 32nm Cedar Trail Atom.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ltdementhial[/nom]there's where i stopped reading.HD6450A its a very nice gpu...but the Atoms are so bad cpu...of course this thing goes for a entry sector maybe even for the office...but with that cpu[/citation]
HTPC, for running XBMC, this would be pretty good

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
And the 32nm Atom are the same shitty cpu's as the old ones, same craptastic cpu performance, tiny improvemente over a more than worthless craptastic gpu (being a bit better does not make it even 10% as good as the HD6310/6320).

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]DavidC1[/nom]Judging before even the product is announced. Hmm..http://www.anandtech.com/show/4017 [...] reviewed/3The dual core Nano doesn't even come close to the crippled Core 2 core based Pentium. Let's not exaggerate things. Don't even need to mention Nehalem based ones.I don't know, that doesn't look 3-5x to me. More like 30-50%. Plus the D2700 is the 32nm Cedar Trail Atom.[/citation]

You seem to leave out the Nano has been improved since then, with the Nano X2 E-Series (or even a Quad Core). This is a huge improvement, since it moves both processor on the same die, and uses 40nm lithography. This helps with lower power requirements as well.

His numbers are obviously exaggerated, but the Nano is a pretty decent processor. Far better than the Atom, which is a really good processor only in only very limited situations. Centaur and AMD hit the market with better products, that possess good enough performance, while being small and easy on power. Atom just doesn't have the performance in a lot of workloads.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]villanim[/nom]Lenovo is 20% owned by IBM. At least Lenovo has their call centers and parts center located in the USA, cannot say that for Dell now can you? Apple also has outsourced their call centers (Philippines), so at least Lenovo has created jobs in the US while Dell and Apple has eliminated jobs (and in Apples case pun not intended). So, if you wish to purchase a Dell, be my guest, as you can have a laptop whose system board will die within a year or you will score other quality issues, while my Lenovo will just work.[/citation]
Build quality is related to the final price of the product. I've only dealt with cheap Lenovo products so far and my opinion is that their quality is just as cheap as it gets.

kastraelie

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
I don't have a problem with the system. I like the looks, and with enough tweaking I actually like the atom chips.

WHAT TICKS ME OFF is the flood of companies claiming "the worlds smallest desktop." This system is nowhere NEAR the worlds smallest consumer desktop, by ANY way you measure. For an atom PC...the Fit2 and Fit3 are a QUARTER of the size and have the same guts. If you compare internals with formfactor...the new Mac Mini actually has balls AND the powersupply is built inside (not in a clunky brick). I could name a few others...but whats the point.

This is BBBEEEEEEE EESSSSSSSSS to give the title "worlds smallest anything". Well, I take it back, it might be the world's smallest lenovo... =/

Status
Not open for further replies.