Review Lenovo Legion Tower 5i (Gen 8) review: Quintessential 1080p gaming desktop

hushnecampus

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Huge amount of empty space in there. That makes sense for an easy-to-build do-it-yourself PC, but I think an off-the-shelf PC should be compact - bespoke case, tightly fitted components.

A low-to-mid end PC aimed at 1080 in particular has no excuse to be that big.

NoahFB

Prominent
Jul 29, 2023
Do not buy Lenovo workstations, at least not the Legion series.

They use unknown components for the motherboard and the graphics card (yes, even with NVIDIA GPUs). It's impossible to control some elements like the fans or the silly lighting. I had to glue cardboards to stop that box from illuminating the room with psychedelic colors. They're not NVIDIA boards, nor known brands, either. It works with NVIDIA's drivers, but there's little control and no way to know if the design has been correctly done. I know mine isn't as performant as others, though it's not a huge difference. The fans are horribly noisy, though, amateur's stuff. Knowing it's a good design is even more relevant with cards that require a lot of power (you probably know that some bad cables can melt, damage other components or even start a fire).

The cases are badly conceived. No way to add simple things like a DVD, for example. The power unit is restricted to a small enclave, so you can't change to another unit. The air is sucked up from the bottom of the case, which takes a maximum of dust inside the case (and doesn't take the air in easily when the case's sitting on a carpet). They don't put filters in front of the air intakes, so the dust goes directly into the fans and ultimately clog the shaft. The GPU has an airflow of its own, which isn't synchronized with the case's airflow, so sometimes the case is depressurized, sometimes over-pressurized. It's ridiculous. Those fans are quite noisy, by the way, especially the power unit, which rattles a little, sometimes (often).

Finally, there's the Lenovo support. I contacted them a few times, but I never got any good answer, for anything. They're simply not competent and give basic answers without understanding what it means.

No. Some of their laptops are still OK, but not as good as before. Their gaming computers? Just forget it.

i'm sorry, but a low end i5 + 60 series nvidia has no business being more then $600-$700, the price inflation of computer parts since 2020 has been insane.

if this was priced like it should be, sure. but a low end 1080p junker for 1200? outrageous.

mwm2010

Prominent
May 3, 2023
This piece of dog water is overpriced, poorly designed, not trustworthy(unknown components used for GPU and mobo), and that cooler is just sad. I like the case design, but come on, Lenovo.

Thats a piece of garbage. Here is a really PC for 1150:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-14600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 140 77.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z790 Pro RS ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($148.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($85.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN580 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Challenger OC Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Newegg)
Case: be quiet! Shadow Base 800 DX ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1134.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-10-12 02:54 EDT-0400

TRENDING THREADS