Question "Thermal Mode" setting on Lenovo Legion Tower PC ?

Jul 2, 2024
I have a Lenovo Legion Tower PC , i7-13700k, 4080, 32GB RAM.

-ultimate performance enabled through power shell

-nvidia control panel power management mode - prefer maximum performance

- nvidia app automatic tuning (auto overclocked)

-intel XTU automatic overclocking enabled

I don’t have Lenovo Vantage installed , but when I went into the BIOS to turn off the RGB lights it says
the Thermal Mode is “balanced”

What I’m wondering is given that I've already made the changes listed above, is it redundant to change this Thermal Mode setting from "balanced" to "performance" ?
What does the Thermal Mode do exactly ?

I have a Lenovo Legion Tower PC , i7-13700k, 4080, 32GB RAM.

-ultimate performance enabled through power shell

-nvidia control panel power management mode - prefer maximum performance

- nvidia app automatic tuning (auto overclocked)

-intel XTU automatic overclocking enabled

I don’t have Lenovo Vantage installed , but when I went into the BIOS to turn off the RGB lights it says
the Thermal Mode is “balanced”

What I’m wondering is given that I've already made the changes listed above, is it redundant to change this Thermal Mode setting from "balanced" to "performance" ?
What does the Thermal Mode do exactly ?
Hey there,

1. Why run Ultimate Performance profile? It doesn't benefit anything in terms of gaming or general tasks, or even heavy loads. It simply means that all of your system components will never go into sleep mode or power saving modes, and will run at max, whilst even at the desktop. This means your idle system draw will be high.

2. NVCP, again the gains from having this set are little if any in terms of performance.

3. nVidia Auto tune, or OC Scanner are a waste of time. They are very conservative. You can achieve much better results with MSI AFterburner and doing it manually. E.g My own 3060ti with OC scanner gave a paltry 80mhz on the core and 200 on the mem. When the mem on 3060ti's are cpabale og going from 14gbs to 16gbs. That's a huge jump.

4. OC the CPU through the bios is much better than with WIndows Software, including XTU. I'd rather run Throttlestop than XTU. It's much better.

5. Test with both settings. Change the thermal mode to balanced, test. CHange it to Performance, test. Which ever gives the better result, then you know. Might be a good idea to do a test run a few times at each settings to get an average, and then compare.