Question Lenovo Thinkpad T420: Shuts down during boot/on login screen/right after logging in, works okay in safe mode.

stramner

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
T420 lenovo thinkpad; win7

I tried replacing battery, using it without battery, using it with only a battery, turning off graphics card (in device manager), then some other things. Old battery, the one that was used until the first crash, was practically dead (lasted few seconds), it relied on the cable.

Soonest it turned off is during the "Windows" logo screen, latest was few seconds after logging into an account (this was successful only once, after it wasn't turned on for like two weeks; other times whenever I got to login part, after writing password and hitting enter it instantly shut down).

Changes that happened recently before it began happening: in nvidia control panel, firefox was made to work using nvidia, not iGPU (this apparently[based on what I've read after] doesn't work anyways as browsers are blacklisted from that). Installed Qbittorent. That's all iirc.

First time it crashed was during browser flash game.

When it crashes it makes short high pitched noise. I can record it if necessary. Once after crash it made periodical (like every 0,33s or so IIRC) "farting" noises for like 5 seconds.

If you don't know how to fix it, is there at least a way to figure out if it's hardware or software fault?

stramner

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
Reliability monitor tool is empty. But I found a report of the first crash:
rIZ6DFU.jpg

5UL4vs1.jpg

(sorry for low quality)

In case you need translation, here's how that kind of report looks in English:
3.png

I'm not sure what drivers should I try reinstalling, and if it's enough to just use safe mode with networking and automatically checking for update from windows?

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure it's really the report for the first crash though.

Last edited: