Lenovo Tweaking Windows 7 Boot Time Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bliq

Distinguished
I understand this could be competitive advantage but I think Lenovo and MS should share what they learn and MS should incorporate the changes into its software ASAP.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Meh, i don't have any problem with waiting, turn it on, go do something a lil while and come back...not that i have to wait very long with my velociraptor ;)

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Yeah, I dont turn my PC off for the past 7 years I think now. So the times that I have to restart my PC i need to be infront of it so faster reboot is really a good thing.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I'm glad they're moving toward faster boots, but it doesn't really help me. I just put my computer into standby instead. 3 second "boot" time... and I'm on an ancient P4 system.

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I wouldn't even worry about the competitive advantage. These things tend to pop up among competitors in no time in the PC Industry

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
First off one user said his PC Boots up in two seconds, ok now come out of your dream. I agree with oneuser who said goto standby mode, i use that durring the day and it works great.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]bliq[/nom]I understand this could be competitive advantage but I think Lenovo and MS should share what they learn and MS should incorporate the changes into its software ASAP.[/citation]
It's not that simple. What they did was optimize it for those specific sets of hardware. To get the benefits on other systems you would have to completely re-optimize for whatever the hardware config is. It would be very time consuming to do that for all the possible configurations and would take up more space on install discs (and possibly on the hard drive) to store all the tweaks for the hardware combinations.

G

I would like to know what optimizations are made, so we can do them ourselves. Detective Tom S Hardware go find out please.

G

Okay but the problem with standby is that data is still residing in volatile memory which requires a constant electrical charge. Therefore, standby is not as energy efficient as a full shut down. In a home environment, one machine on standby is no big deal, but in the workplace multiple machines that are constantly on or in standby still suck considerable juice and raise that electricity bill. And going back to the memory issue. If there's a power failure of any kind, anything in volatile memory like unsaved documents or open programs and their data files, it's toast. That doesn't really fly with the business market that Lenovo is so deeply involved in. Standby simply is not the same as a fully shut down machine, that's why it's called standy and not shutdown. So on that note, any optimization that can improve time-to-live from a cold stop will go a long way to convincing people (especially businesses that run their computers 24/7) to shut down and save some power.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Hmm...
My old 80GB drive and Pentium D booted Win7 in 1 minute.
My i7 with a nice new 7200rpm Samsung F1 1TB boots in about 1 minute...
Hmm...

Anyways, good for laptops, but for desktop users (as myself), we don't turn our systems off. ^_^

G

I go to "standby" mode on my desktop PC:
-almost instantaneous restart
-same power consumption than when it's off ! (actually in when "off" my Watt-meter says that it consumes 30W...)

urlsen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
i have had the win 7 running for a month now (developing win7 not RC fully useable with xp mode and everything. start up is 45 sec from cold.

win 7 ultimate developer
p5b deluxe
E8400
4 gb pc2 6400
4 500 gb green

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
[citation][nom]tryhjytd[/nom]I go to "standby" mode on my desktop PC:-almost instantaneous restart-same power consumption than when it's off ! (actually in when "off" my Watt-meter says that it consumes 30W...)[/citation]

Thats why I turn off the power strip when I am done shutting down the computer, 30 Watts is way too much draw when you aren't using the computer for anything. I only put the computer to sleep when I am not going to use it for an hour or two, but if I am not leaving it run overnight for something it gets shut all the way down and the power strip turned off to stave of that extra power usage.

werfu

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Lenovo knows that, and boasts that its ThinkPad notebooks and ThinkCentre desktops will boot Windows 7 up to 56 percent faster compared to running Windows XP or Vista, and shuts down in as little as five seconds.

You know that this means absolutely nothing... get some numbers!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
On my ThinkPad R61, Windows7-RC.

Boot time is about 40secs after post. Totally smoked XP's boot time on the notebook.

Thats with a lowly 1.6Ghz Pentium Dual Core
1GB DDR2 / 80GB 5400RPM HD.
Memory usage is slightly more than XP and the overall system performance is quite nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.