[SOLVED] Lenovo y540 Hybrid Mode Can't Change Brightness

12of12

Honorable
Sep 7, 2016
Hello,

When I turn on Hybrid Mode, I cannot change my brightness whatsoever and the screen gets stuck at 100% brightness. Additionally, the battery life doesn't seem to increase. The monitor name switches from Generic PnP monitor to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and says that the refresh rate is at "1.000Hz". When checked, the stated refresh rate is 64Hz but it feels like it is at 144hz which is the default refresh rate. I created a custom refresh rate of 60Hz which is available as an option when Hybrid Mode is turned off. This problem is pretty recent, however, and the 60Hz option and adjusting the brightness worked when Hybrid Mode was turned on for the first 5 months of owning this laptop. I also hook my laptop up to an additional monitor, but I have done this in the past with this laptop and no problems. I do not know how to solve this recent problem. I started noticing it after June, I think. I have the latest drivers, intel drivers, and even the latest bios. Nothing seems to work. Is this a Lenovo problem or a problem with Hybrid Mode at all? Could there be another reason why my brightness gets set at 100%? I have MSI Afterburner, custom refresh rates, and two displays just to name a couple of things that may cause an issue (but didn't cause an issue for the first 5 months).

Thanks.

Solution
I solved this 2 month problem y'all. First, if your display adapters in device manager says "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" instead of "Intel UHD", then a driver needs to be installed. Disable and enable the Microsoft Display Adapter driver. Your monitor name might change to "Generic Non-PnP monitor". Check Lenovo Vantage and update the Intel VGA Driver. After rebooting, go to device manager and right click the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter if the problem is still there. Click "Update Driver". The problem should now be fixed.

12of12

Honorable
Sep 7, 2016
I solved this 2 month problem y'all. First, if your display adapters in device manager says "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" instead of "Intel UHD", then a driver needs to be installed. Disable and enable the Microsoft Display Adapter driver. Your monitor name might change to "Generic Non-PnP monitor". Check Lenovo Vantage and update the Intel VGA Driver. After rebooting, go to device manager and right click the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter if the problem is still there. Click "Update Driver". The problem should now be fixed.

Solution