Question Lenovo z580 laptop: randomly powers down or gets stuck

Feb 21, 2020
Hello,

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with my old Lenovo z580 laptop. Here's the details and what I know so far:

Computer: Lenovo z580 with Windows 7
Symptoms: One of two things happen:
-it suddenly powers down without any error message, or
-keyboard becomes unresponsive (mouse works fine), if I wait at this point it will power down like above within a minute, if I try to turn it off it gets stuck at logging off screen, to the point where nothing (not even holding and pressing power button) helps and I'm forced to physically disconnect the battery to make it shut down.

What I checked so far:
  • HDD, which was reporting errors, was replaced and system migrated to new ssd drive. Didn't help.
  • Tried using on AC only (no battery) and on battery only without AC cable plugged in - the problem remained in both cases.
  • It happens like once per day on average, randomly. Other than that laptop runs fine.
  • Used CoreTemp to measure temperatures but the powering down happens with as low CPU temp as 50 °C and conversly it never happened while running a game when CPU temp is much higher, so I don't think it's got something to do with overheating
  • Reseated the RAM, seemed to help for like 3 days but then the problem repeated again.
  • Other than the above symptoms, I have rather unusual noise from the fan. It does work, but the sound is different.

I'm beginning to run out of ideas. Is there anything else I could check before giving up and sending it to service center?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

system migrated to new ssd drive
You're advised to reinstall your OS from scratch. You might also migrate corruption if the OS files resided on the bad sectors.

Which BIOS version are you currently on and do you have any BIOS updates pending?

How many sticks of ram are you working with?

Feb 21, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

system migrated to new ssd drive
You're advised to reinstall your OS from scratch. You might also migrate corruption if the OS files resided on the bad sectors.

Which BIOS version are you currently on and do you have any BIOS updates pending?

How many sticks of ram are you working with?

Thanks for the reply,

BIOS version: LENOVO 5FCN27WW, 26-03-2012, Lenovo website says there's an update from 2014 so I'll install it today.

I have two sticks of RAM, one that was originally installed and one I bought later.

Update:
I tried to upgrade BIOS, but when restarting during BIOS update, laptop gets stuck with black screen, fans running, unresponsive until I press and hold power button to turn it off. It then boots up normally, but the BIOS version is still the same.

And update 2:
Still not resolved this issue. BIOS update is impossible due to laptop getting stuck while rebooting, I tried disabling dedicated graphics card but this didn't help either. I'll try clean Windows install tomorrow.

What I noticed is if it doesn't power down immediately but "locks" keyboard and power button, I can use it pretty much normally and it seems to work fine - except for not reacting to keyboard / power button input. If however I try to shut down system in this state, it invariably gets stuck on black screen while shutting down, running eternally unless battery and AC are plugged out.

Last edited: