Let's talk about Cyrix

G

It seems to be always Intel this AMD that, or AMD this and Intel that

Why not talk about Cyrix?

I mean they are in the market too
its another PC processor

For once lets discuss the 3 of them

Im interested in what Fugger thinks of Cyrix and Meltdown =)

just curious

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

G

i couldn't resist

the Cyrix III is the pea green out-of-tune '75 Honda Civic riding on bald Frisbee-sized tires going uphill and into a headwind.

<b> copied from tomshardware.com, cyrix III review, conclusion page </b>

LOL
I love that quote

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
RCF wont like Cyrix. It is a via company. lets hear what he has to say.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The C3 chip may do well in the low end notebook market, and low end business. It has a very low demand on power, and runs cool, making it ideal for notebooks. But the FPU is slower then that of the original Cyrix MII, so it will not be a gamers (or hobbiest) machine.

I have heard that one main market place for the C3 will be China. With 1 billion plus population, that may not be a bad plan at all.

With a third player in the low end processor market (all less expensive then Intel), it looks like the Celeron is at the end of its life.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Via just wanted to call themselves a "CPU manufactorer". They had an oportunity for it because they make chipsets and can use patented socket.
I don't think that their chips have any real future, In the past IDT (The guys that actually design that CPU) made low cost CPUs that could turn scrapmetal to low-end computer. Today if you want cheap cpu you better go for slowest as you can find Celeron or Duron , it will perform better, and will be cheap enough.

Beer! Good!
-James Hatefild

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why not talk about cyrix...
ok, mebbe cuz their new processor probably won't outperform their old processor if the clock speeds were even close...
how the hell could they screw it up THAT bad...?
although, at least now Cyrix(Via) has a processor that runs cool, my old MII ran hot as hell, even underclocked...

----------------------
why, oh WHY, is the world run by morons?