Question LG keeps moving all my windows

matizami

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2013
Hey everyone,

I need some help figuring out an issue with my monitor setup. A few months ago, I bought an LG 27gp850p monitor, which I use as my primary display. My second monitor is an ASUS VG245, but I barely use it – mostly just for work occasionally. So, almost all my windows, browsers, and tools are open on the LG.

After a few weeks of using the LG, I noticed a frustrating problem: many times, when I turn the LG on, all my windows are missing. If I then turn on the second monitor (ASUS), I can either see the windows on that screen or they magically reappear on the LG. Sometimes, the windows completely disappear, and I have to either close them using ctrl+shift+del or restart Windows to get things working again.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

• Updated my GPU driver.
  • Checked for new firmware for the LG (there wasn’t any).
  • Switched from DisplayPort to HDMI, trying different HDMI slots on both the GPU and the monitor.
Since nothing seemed to work, I decided to unplug the LG, set the ASUS as my primary monitor, and brought back my old Samsung as the secondary display. For a week, everything was fine, but then the same issue happened again once. In the past 2-3 weeks without the LG, the problem has only occurred once, compared to almost daily with the LG.

Any ideas on what might be causing this or how to solve it? Thanks in advance for your help!

include your OS version.
Any ideas on what might be causing this or how to solve it?
it wouldn't be the displays or the GPU causing this. they have no control whatsoever on where your Desktop windows and/or shortcuts may be located at any given time.

it is the Windows OS and it's Desktop settings shared between the two displays.

if you almost never use the secondary display,
disable it and only re-enable it when you want to use it after the OS is already booted and running.

if that doesn't help then you'll need to look into fixing/reinstalling the OS.

USAFRet

Titan
Power up the monitors before turning the PC on.

If the system had 2x monitors when it was turned off, and then 1x when turned on....it will reshuffle things to be on that one monitor.

Having both powered up first, it will be just like it was when it was turned off.