Question LG thunderbolt 3 monitor not detected on Dell xps17

Jul 7, 2020
when I try connecting the monitor by usb-c the laptop starts charging, all USB devices plugged into the monitor connect to the pc, and it makes a sound signifying its connected but I cannot get it to detect the actual monitor input even after downloading all the newest drivers. The only way for the monitor to work over usb-c is if I have the hdmi already plugged in and then plug in the thunderbolt connector along with it. It then prompts me if I want to switch over to the thunderbolt connection and after I do so, I can then disconnect the hdmi cable. I have to do this process any time the laptop shuts off or is unplugged from the thunderbolt cable and the monitor occasionally disconnects and reconnects when going into full screen applications. The monitor is the LG 38wn95c-w. I have absolutely no idea what is going on with it. I don't have another usb-c monitor or laptop to try the connections on to see what if failing. Thanks for the help.

Jul 10, 2020
To be clear, my problem is:

My thunderbolt connection was working fine for a total of 30 minutes yesterday. I tried it today and I'm not getting power or able to detect/connect a display. It is maddening bc it was fine before, now completely dead. I don't have another thunderbolt cable so I can't diagnose if it is the cable or the monitor/port. I am able to get power via regular usb-c cable plugged into the exact same thunderbolt port on my laptop. So I'm thinking it is not an issue on my laptop side (unless the thunderbolt functionality died for some reason, but it receives power via this same port, so my conclusion is monitor fault).

Jul 10, 2020
To be clear? What do you mean? Are you the op? If not, don't hijack this thread and create your own.
We're talking about the same monitor and same basic issue (thunderbolt connectivity to laptop) so wouldn't it be beneficial to have feedback on this situation in the same place?