Question LG TV HDMI not as clear as streaming straight through TV

dieselmx

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Sorry if I am not in the right section here but wondering if anyone can help or has any thoughts on my issue.

Direct streaming through the TVs interface is way clearer than streaming through HDMI. Is this normal?

So I have an LG TV LG 70" Class 4K UHD Smart LED TV - 70UQ7590PUB. When I stream straight through the TV, the picture is amazingly clear and quality just has this sharpness to it that when using HDMI it doesn't. HDMI its still clear and looks great, but not as sharp and vibrant as when not using HDMI. The settings on the TV not using HDMI have an APS setting that are not available when using the HDMI ports only when using the streaming through the TVs Smart Hub. Could it be something here? This is what its on when using the streaming direct on the TV. I went through every setting I could think of, Clarity, Picture, Fine Tuning, all the picture settings and made sure they are all identical using APS on through the TV and the same HMDI settings on both HDMI 1 and 2. Looked at all the HDMI 4k, HDR, Filmmaker settings, Trumotion and all those settings, they are all the same.

When using the HDMI I am using a Walmart ONN Android 4k TV streaming box and also tried my Chromecast with Google TV 4K. They are very similar in the "not as clear" category. Its' very odd to me that direct streaming would be clearer than HDMI but maybe that is the case since there is no cable or anything that would mess with the signal but wasn't sure if there was something i can do, since i like the Google interface better and its just a lo faster than the Tv built in Smart interface.

Things I have tried:

Made sure the Cable to the Walmart Onn device is a 4k Slim HDMI cable (not a regular HD cable) Tried 2 different 4k Cables
Tried HDMI ports 1 and 2 (I only have 2 on the tv)
Did a side by side comparison with the same Apps (Emby and Netflix) with the same exact shows at the same exact times of the same shows
Made sure Trumotion and all those settings match HDMI and straight streaming through the TV

Thoughts:
Maybe the HDMI ports are not entirely as clear as the direct streaming or earlier like i said maybe its a box and cables and before you see the display?
Is it HDR10 direct streaming and the devices are not HDR10? Is there anyone to check that to make sure?
I don't know the difference between HDR10 and UHD and HDR. Maybe that?
I check the Stats for Nerds and it shows that is in 4K and i see the little HDR indicator on the top using the Smart Google boxes
I would love to use one of these streaming boxes, since the Google Interface is better, faster and the remote is way easier to use. The built in Tv interface is slow and kinda clunky.

Hopefully this makes sense. I can try to provide those settings if it would help or screenshots.

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Keep in mind you are not testing a 1 to 1 thing here, you are using two different things to connect to the service, one is the TV app, the other is some other device, It's also very hard to see what you are seeing and compare things without actually looking at it the way you do. Signal and video processing are done different ways by different hardware. Do all HDMI devices have the same image look? That is what you can really compare here. Try playing around with other options not just making sure they are the same, move them around a bit to see if you get a picture you like better.

Reactions: Order 66

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
hang-the-9 is right. It could be that the Onn device is cheap and does not support all the display enhancements the tv does.
It could also be that you may need a better hdmi cable, or even a certified one, that can also handle all these display enhancements.

Reactions: Order 66