[SOLVED] LGA 775 is it compatible with rx550?

Magnus_Vale

Prominent
Jul 27, 2019
hello, so im asking if rx550 4gb is compatible with foxconn g41mxe lga775 ddr3 with q8400 as a cpu?
the reason im asking these is because i have these motherboard lying around and i want to build this for my lil brother
and i dont want to change the motherboard, i just wanna buy a graphics card so my brother can play.

Solution
There are LGA 775 boards that will work with that RX 550, but I seriously doubt that any of the Foxconn boards will. They had very minimal BIOS support to begin with, and were mostly OEM boards. Very unlikely the BIOS will offer support of be compatible with a UEFI type graphics card. I wouldn't even bother to try. Besides which, the performance would be relatively poor anyhow.
There are LGA 775 boards that will work with that RX 550, but I seriously doubt that any of the Foxconn boards will. They had very minimal BIOS support to begin with, and were mostly OEM boards. Very unlikely the BIOS will offer support of be compatible with a UEFI type graphics card. I wouldn't even bother to try. Besides which, the performance would be relatively poor anyhow.

Reactions: Magnus_Vale
Solution

need4speeds

Distinguished
A cheap used video card but try to pick something that is lower wattage for it's performance. The E8400 is not that fast anyway. A used card like a HD-7770, 7790. R3-250, 260, 350, 360. GTX650, 750, 950. You will want a card that still supports Windows XP, Vista and 7. The newest card with Nvidia is the GTX960. Starting with the GTX970 Nvidia dropped support for Windows XP. With AMD cards however they kept support for Windows XP all the way to the R9-390X and Fury.
With a Molex to PCIE adaptor most of the lower wattage cards should work, many of them don't have a PCIE connector. The "Pitcairn" gpus like the HD-7850, 7870, R5-265,270,270X, 370, 370X should work if you UNDERCLOCK THEM by about 15%. So you adjust the amd Powertune down to 85% power. And adjust the gpu and memory clocks down by 15%. Under full load the power supply and board will have a voltage drop. TOO MUCH AND YOU FRY THE POWER SUPPLY SO BE CAREFUL! The GTX960 and also if you get a GTX660, 760, will need some underclocking to work similar to the Pitcairn cards.
(I am assuming it's a OEM hp\compaq or emachines Power supply that's a 230-300watt. )

-It will depend on what's for sale used. I picked "Pitcairn" because they sold lots of them, they are pretty fast per watt, and they are usually fairly cheap to buy. Likely your getting a cheap ex-mining card, so make sure you see it working and that the fan is still ok before buying it.

-You will also want to measure and know how much room in the case you have for the card.
Some of the micro-atx Mini-tower cases like the HP\Compaq could just barely fit a full sized HD-4870 back when they were fairly new. Some others require removing the HDD cage and putting the HDD somewhere else like taping it to the top of the DVDRW.

-Do a search for the card's wattage and try to pick ones that are not over 120watts TDP and less than that is better. Also some cards might come with the needed adapters, they cost money to buy. A new budget gaming power supply or a used one might also be a good option.