LG's Shows Off World's Thinnest OLED TV at CES

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lengjai

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
[citation][nom]curiousgeorgieo[/nom]This just in: LG guy trips while wall-mounting his OLED screen and slices himself in half[/citation]

[citation][nom]x3style[/nom]In other news, someone tripped on the stairs and died, the goverment is looking into banning stairs,because there is no cure for being stupid.[/citation]

Banning stairs won't happen. The process has already been patented. As for OLED screens also being used as cutting tools, patent is currently pending

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]Its almost to thin, I am afraid it would break...[/citation]
It is already to the thin end of TVs. It may be TOO thin though...
[too: adverb, to a degree exceeding normal limits]

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]cjl[/nom]Interestingly enough, this is the one case where you're wrong. The ridiculous dynamic contrast ratios advertised by LCDs are 100% marketing BS, and there is not really any difference between the ones advertising 10k:1 and 500k:1. However, since this is OLED, the black areas of the screen genuinely are black, with zero light emission. This gives an effectively infinite contrast ratio, and it doesn't even need any marketing BS to do it.[/citation]

Gosh darn it, and here I though my Samsung 24" LED monitor with its 12,000,000:1 CR was cool. Where do they get these numbers, throw a dart at the board and add six zeros to the end of it?

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
You can make it thin . But can u make it affordable? Ill have to push the LCD till you can make it so affordable. That I can 2 what ever happen to SED screens they were almost perfect???

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]bildo123[/nom]Gosh darn it, and here I though my Samsung 24" LED monitor with its 12,000,000:1 CR was cool. Where do they get these numbers, throw a dart at the board and add six zeros to the end of it?[/citation]
They get these numbers by very simple mathematics. They're valid and mathematically meaningful (though not necessarily visually meaningful). They're the ratio of the minimum brightness of a pixel to the maximum brightness. If the minimum brightness is 0.1 nits and a maximum brightness of 2000 nits, the contrast ratio is 2000/0.1 = 20000.

LG is making a possiblly meaningful statement by taking the maximum brightness and dividing it by a minimum brightness which approaches 0 (as is the case with 'off' OLED pixels). As a divisor approaches 0, the result of any division approaches infinity, though, correctly, division by 0 is actually undefined.

If LG believes the minimum brightness is 0, they would be correct to state this TV has, 'undefined contrast ratio,' but that wouldn't look very good on a sign or brochure.

Railgun1369

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i like how all the cable connections are integrated in the base, clean, very clean[/citation]

Agreed, but from what I can tell, kind of renders the fact that it's so thin moot. Kind of complicates your wall mounting options a bit.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]It is already to the thin end of TVs. It may be TOO thin though... [too: adverb, to a degree exceeding normal limits][/citation]
Seriously get a life lol it iss just the comments section of a news article. No need to edit my comment.

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
you cant have an infinite contrast ratio because you cannot divide by 0. its a marketing gimmick. i tried to get our head marketing guy to stop the bs and start putting real contrast ratios on the box but theyre afraid sales would plummet because people are stupid.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]Seriously get a life lol it iss just the comments section of a news article. No need to edit my comment.[/citation]
No editing done. Just trying too help with grammer.

bto

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]i sold my house,car and WIFE.can i afford it now?[/citation]
I changed my mind on your wife, I want my money back.

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Firstly, this is an amazing looking TV, but cost will kill ya. I wish these companies would stop trying to make them thinner, and fix some of the issues that seem to appear year after year, namely true blacks (not dusty chalk board they call deep black), color accuracy, higher color bit depth to eliminate banding, input lag for gamers, floating blacks, and static contrast ratio of at least 10k:1. Wishful thinking I guess.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]decrypted[/nom]Firstly, this is an amazing looking TV, but cost will kill ya. I wish these companies would stop trying to make them thinner, and fix some of the issues that seem to appear year after year, namely true blacks (not dusty chalk board they call deep black), color accuracy, higher color bit depth to eliminate banding, input lag for gamers, floating blacks, and static contrast ratio of at least 10k:1. Wishful thinking I guess.[/citation]
Um, it's an OLED TV, which addresses many of these issues. The thinness is a side effect of the technology, not a feature pushed to its limits at the cost of other features.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]i agree, it is marketing BSbut anyone with eyes can see that the darks are dark as hell and the lights are... light as hell lol[/citation]

ok ok, I guess technically it's not infinite contrast, it's undefined contrast. An LCD does X to 1 contrast ratio. This thing brings X to 0 contrast ratio. A mathmatician will tell you that's undefined (divide by zero) but a marketting guy could be forgiven for calling that "infinite".

I've been waiting on these things to reach TV sizes ever since the Zune HD. That thing melts your face with contrast.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Love the AMOLED. It has very fast response time, in the micro sec range. And no ghosting what so ever. It will definitely replace LCDs and Plasmas in the next few years.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]aford10[/nom]The main concern with OLED's are the lifespan. I'd be real interested in the price, because the organic material hasn't been able to last very long.[/citation]
Agree that they don't last very long. But how long are you planning on keeping your TV? Technology has kept us in a constant upgrading loop. The 1080p tech with 240 Hz would probably be replaced in the next 4 to 8 years. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.