[SOLVED] Lian Li O11 Dynamic Vertical GPU Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
Hello! I am planning to make a build in the future with a vertical GPU mounting in mind.
My current specs are:
CPU: i7-4770K @4.3Ghz OC
Motherboard: MSI Z87M Gaming
CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 Plus
RAM: Patriot Viper 16GB Dual @2133MHz XMP-enabled
Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 Evo, 250GB Samsung 860 Evo, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, WD 1TB Caviar Black, WD 1TB Caviar Blue
Case: NZXT S340 Elite

I already bought an O11 Dynamic Black, and currently waiting for Intel's Comet Lake-S (particularly the i7-10700K) to arrive. I will be doing a full upgrade by this year while keeping a few of the SSDs to make them a gaming and OS storage. I will also be getting the next-gen Nvidia GPU on the 80 series line (if its actually going to be called then an RTX 3080 from ASUS).

Currently, I only have 2 options for vertical mounting: Phanteks Vertical GPU holder bracket kit PH-VGPUKT_01 , and the Cooler Master Vertical GPU Holder Kit MCA-U000R-KFVK00. I have read about these vertical mount kits on reddit but I am not really satisfied with the information that was put in there so now I turn to you people that have experience using these kits. Will I need to do any modding on the case or the vertical mounts? Which in your opinion and experience is the best?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Not necessarily. The O11 dynamic has quite a bit of space in front of the PCI slots, which isn't going to choke it.
Vertical space, yes.
Horizontal space, not so much. A 2-3 slot card is going to be fairly close to the side panel window; the standard fan models aren't going to take that too well. Liquid cooled and blower gpus are going to be better in tighter spaces.

The H500P Mesh I'm currently using offers more horizontal space available than the O11 Dynamic does; an air cooled V-gpu setup would fare better in it than the O11.

Reactions: extreme_noob
Apr 5, 2020
Vertical space, yes.
Horizontal space, not so much. A 2-3 slot card is going to be fairly close to the side panel window; the standard fan models aren't going to take that too well. Liquid cooled and blower gpus are going to be better in tighter spaces.

The H500P Mesh I'm currently using offers more horizontal space available than the O11 Dynamic does; an air cooled V-gpu setup would fare better in it than the O11.

Not if you go with Phanteks vertical gpu mount. This mount will give you room for mounting fans at the bottom without modding since it only takes up 5 slots. So that you say GPU will choke and throttle is false. (Not my case or image. Got it from a reddit user.) View: https://imgur.com/a/bH8aLCz

I now have Lian Li O11 Dynamic and MSI RTX 2080 Trio X. This is a huge GPU, and my card is now mounted on the MB( waiting for Phanteks vertical mount). I have problems with glass getting really hot, because from the glass to GPU it's only few centimeter clearence. I think in my situation, a vertical mounted GPU could give me better temps in my case.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Not if you go with Phanteks vertical gpu mount. This mount will give you room for mounting fans at the bottom without modding since it only takes up 5 slots. So that you say GPU will choke and throttle is false. (Not my case or image. Got it from a reddit user.) View: https://imgur.com/a/bH8aLCz

I now have Lian Li O11 Dynamic and MSI RTX 2080 Trio X. This is a huge GPU, and my card is now mounted on the MB( waiting for Phanteks vertical mount). I have problems with glass getting really hot, because from the glass to GPU it's only few centimeter clearence. I think in my situation, a vertical mounted GPU could give me better temps in my case.
Old thread, but I'll bite anyway.
:kikou:
I look forward to your O11 Dynamic, Horizontal VS Vertical gpu results.

1)That image proves nothing regarding temps nor noise. Plus, the side panel is off. Post your own image next time.

2)Glass is an insulator of heat, if you weren't already aware. These solid glass panels are yet another form over function 'premium feature'; people can show off what's inside their cases, but now they run warmer by default VS a solid steel or aluminum panel.

3)The single, dual, and triple fan coolers are less effective with parallel surfaces in close proximity VS blower and VGA waterblocks. Psu shrouds, anyone?
By the way, those things are yet another form over function 'premium feature'...

4)Those same fan coolers are also louder in the vertical orientation because the bulk of the sound waves off the fan rotations/vibrations are now running into the side panel instead of down into the bottom of the case, or psu shroud - if one is present.

5)That pic you linked is bad for another reason.
Unlike the blower models which exhaust the bulk of their heat out the back of the card and full VGA waterblocks which exhaust through their tubing, the standard fan models exhaust out from all sides.
Do you see the problem with that pic yet? No? Well, here's the kicker:
Instead of the heat being exhausted horizontally into the case and up, now it's being exhausted both horizontally AND vertically!
Plus, with that bottom case fan intake fighting against the bottom gpu exhaust, a hot spot has been created; now the bottom half of the gpu runs a good deal warmer than the top half...
I wonder if that user will incur a memory issue later on, because there are memory chips near that end of the gpu, and if they're running unusually hot for extended periods of time...

6)V-gpu is a form over function 'premium feature'. But it can work without issue depending on the setup.
Blower and full VGA waterblocks are going to have the easiest time of it though.

bugzysd

Commendable
Apr 6, 2018
Old thread, but I'll bite anyway.
:kikou:
I look forward to your O11 Dynamic, Horizontal VS Vertical gpu results.

1)That image proves nothing regarding temps nor noise. Plus, the side panel is off. Post your own image next time.

2)Glass is an insulator of heat, if you weren't already aware. These solid glass panels are yet another form over function 'premium feature'; people can show off what's inside their cases, but now they run warmer by default VS a solid steel or aluminum panel.

3)The single, dual, and triple fan coolers are less effective with parallel surfaces in close proximity VS blower and VGA waterblocks. Psu shrouds, anyone?
By the way, those things are yet another form over function 'premium feature'...

4)Those same fan coolers are also louder in the vertical orientation because the bulk of the sound waves off the fan rotations/vibrations are now running into the side panel instead of down into the bottom of the case, or psu shroud - if one is present.

5)That pic you linked is bad for another reason.
Unlike the blower models which exhaust the bulk of their heat out the back of the card and full VGA waterblocks which exhaust through their tubing, the standard fan models exhaust out from all sides.
Do you see the problem with that pic yet? No? Well, here's the kicker:
Instead of the heat being exhausted horizontally into the case and up, now it's being exhausted both horizontally AND vertically!
Plus, with that bottom case fan intake fighting against the bottom gpu exhaust, a hot spot has been created; now the bottom half of the gpu runs a good deal warmer than the top half...
I wonder if that user will incur a memory issue later on, because there are memory chips near that end of the gpu, and if they're running unusually hot for extended periods of time...

6)V-gpu is a form over function 'premium feature'. But it can work without issue depending on the setup.
Blower and full VGA waterblocks are going to have the easiest time of it though.

Happy to report, I've been running Coolermaster Vertical GPU mount for over a year with a 1080FTW & now a 1080Ti Strix with temps being excellent. I've tested it without the vertical GPU mount. In-game temps are typically around 62-64c. Under stress testing, hitting around 70c.

Temps are actually 1c better with the vertical GPU mount with the 3x fans on bottom. Sure lot of people will claim that vertical GPU mounts cause temps to be higher, but the 3x fans blowing up from bottom actually benefits from the vertical GPU (in my experience). It allows the air to flow more smoothly, where as without the vertical GPU mount, it restricts the hot air to moving upward.

The arguement of going watercooled GPU, well if you have the capacity, go for it. There's many things you can do to make a better optimal setup, but more money.

For anyone interested in a vertical GPU mount and have fans at bottom blowing up, I recommend. Obviously, those interested are balancing looks and function.

If you do NOT have fans blowing up from bottom, then I agree that a vertical GPU would cause a negative temp effect.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Happy to report, I've been running Coolermaster Vertical GPU mount for over a year with a 1080FTW & now a 1080Ti Strix with temps being excellent. I've tested it without the vertical GPU mount. In-game temps are typically around 62-64c. Under stress testing, hitting around 70c.

Temps are actually 1c better with the vertical GPU mount with the 3x fans on bottom. Sure lot of people will claim that vertical GPU mounts cause temps to be higher, but the 3x fans blowing up from bottom actually benefits from the vertical GPU (in my experience). It allows the air to flow more smoothly, where as without the vertical GPU mount, it restricts the hot air to moving upward.

The arguement of going watercooled GPU, well if you have the capacity, go for it. There's many things you can do to make a better optimal setup, but more money.

For anyone interested in a vertical GPU mount and have fans at bottom blowing up, I recommend. Obviously, those interested are balancing looks and function.

If you do NOT have fans blowing up from bottom, then I agree that a vertical GPU would cause a negative temp effect.
Nice!
You are using a mount that doesn't utilize the vertical slots in the case, but the horizontal ones - that makes a HUGE difference.
Some people aren't doing what you're doing and their cards are running hot, because the gpu is too close to the glass panel or psu shroud(if present).

Temps still aren't great vertically - it's more uneven VS horizontal, but you can't tell with Nvidia's gpus because the temp readings you are provided are an average of 3:
Gpu core, memory, and gpu VRM.
In your experience, you yielded a 1C difference from bottom intake fans... I'm still not seeing the benefit. It's just like I was telling the other person. The fan models dump their waste heat out all of their sides.
The downwards heat is running into the bottom intake air and stagnating, creating a hotspot.

Status
Not open for further replies.