Lian-Li Prices PC Cases That Look Like Desks

Status
Not open for further replies.
stop looking at these as just cases. a decent aluminum desk with quality machining can easily run you $1000 by itself.

that said, these are rather ugly... and I wish the height would be more adjustable

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
stop looking at these as just cases. a decent aluminum desk with quality machining can easily run you $1000 by itself.

So what? Ugly is ugly.

Reminds me of the Pawn Stars episode where this guy came in, claimed he was an artist. He had made some demonic sculptures out of gold and painted them black. So they looked like cheap black painted demon statues. Yes they were made of gold and weren't cheap to make, but so what?

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
I agree - these are ugly for the price. Take off the top box and then add some proper legs - beef it up a bit then charge me a grand. I like the idea, but the final design for the supports (not adjustability) etc. falls way way short. Not to mention the desk is way too small to be worth a damn. Good effort, come back with a proper desk though.

EDIT: OK after going to their website I do like these a bit better. While the 01 is too small for me the 02 would be fine at nearly 48". However, the major issue I have is with the legs. Why oh why do those cheap round legs rather than some stout looking rectangular ones that would match the top better? The video is pretty cool on the website. Overall, a nice effort, just falls a bit short for me due to the supports.

CodeMatias

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
Looks like a BBQ grill. MMMM tis the season to be grilling. :D

My thoughts exactly for the smaller of the two. If they wanted desk size, they should have made it thinner and use PCIe extenders so cards are horizontal.

lp231

Splendid
Lian-Li cases are nice and all, but compare to other cases, it's not well equip.
When opening a Lian-Li case, you get a sense of emptiness and start to think, is this case worth the amount you've paid for?
I was about to built a ITX system using a Lian-Li, but I went with a BitFenix Prodigy instead.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112372&cm_re=lian-li_itx-_-11-112-372-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345016&cm_re=bitfenix_prodigy-_-11-345-016-_-Product

Mathew Reuther

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Far too expensive. You're talking a hybrid of two things which will run you less than $400 usually (and, honestly, easily much less than that), and even accounting for the "neat" integration and "quality" I just can't see this as anything but a ridiculous expenditure.

No doubt they'll sell some because some people have money to burn. But even for an enthusiast case this is into the realm of silly.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Everything is in mm, it makes it a little hard to judge the dimensions. 835mm or 2.7' height is quite small for someone like me who is 6' tall to sit behind considering this case will also project downward about 8".

i think the nondescript style is neat however its not very practical. the keyboard tray is all wrong. i say they get props for effort but this needs a redesign.

as far as price, for a fully aluminum desk which is machined and has some handy features this is not unbelievably high. lian li typically uses almost all aluminum in many of its cases which is why they typically cost more. i just got rid of my first lian li case (a v2000b-IIplus) and i dont think there was more than 5% of the case which was not solid aluminum and everything was held together with screws not rivets which meant lots of customization options.

lian li does a pretty stand up job. they might not have all the bells and whistles other manufacturers include but they have it where it counts.

@LP

for safety. if they didnt and you cracked the glass you could get seriously cut.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
i owned a lian li pca71f. saw photos of it on the internet.. looked beautiful. it was the worst cheapest made piece of crap i ever wasted $200 on. its the empty soda can of computer cases. thin sharp aluminum, and paint you can scratch with a piece of paper. from the looks of that desk, it appears to be made from the same crappy anodized aluminum.. you will scratch the hell out of it with your keyboard, mouse or anything you decide to put on it. if they made it from steel, and used paint. i might be interested for around $400.

Status
Not open for further replies.