LibreOffice Heads To The Cloud With LibreOffice Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

indian-art

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
@leo2kp Heres one of the many reasons: "LibreOffice Online will also be the first suite to support the Open Document Format, an XML-based document file format, which makes file conversions easier by "leveraging and reusing existing standards wherever possible."

Office 365 will cost you $9.99...no thanks.

This whole SAAS business model doesn't convince me at all. It costs more than a full license. Then they try to sell the idea that you get *free* upgrades, upgrades you don't really need and wouldn't buy at all. In the end, we use full OEM licenses for 5 years at about 1/4 the cost.

This web-availability claim is also something I dread. "You can access your stuff from anywhere in the world! And so can we!"

For office products you may just download the damned thing and be done with it, but many SAAS offerings are entirely web-based. Imagine your CEO asks you to include some data into your Business Intelligence and it is hosted by a third-party whose database you have no access to. Good luck getting that to work.

I understand it might make sense to some SMBs that are pretty much IT-less, but it just doesn't work for our company the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.