Question Lightning struck my house, PC is on the fritz...what steps to take?

creator439

Commendable
Feb 15, 2019
Hi all,

I have seen some posts similar to this one, but it was hard to get any definitive steps to take...I will try and be as brief but detailed as possible.

PC specs, system built in 2018:
PSU - Corsair CX550M Modular
CPU - Intel I3 8100
CPU cooler - Noctua NH-L9 x 65
RAM - G. Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (8 x 2) DDR4
Primary SSD - Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD, 250GB
Secondary SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SATA
Motherboard - ASUS Prime H370M Plus mATX

OK, so we had said lightning strike, and, when turning on the power toggle switch on the back of the PSU, the motherboard LEDs would light up for about 2-5 seconds, then dim away to off. Happened every time I switched the PSU on. Like most, I suspected PSU had been burnt out, and confirmed this by testing said PSU with a multimeter. Purchased an identical PSU, installed it this morning, and system is still doing the same thing.

Wondering where I go from here? Should I look at internal cables (PCI) next? Ram? SSDs? Is it the motherboard itself? Insurance is paying for it, so I can replace as much stuff as I need to...but I don't want to replace components unnecessarily.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,

I have seen some posts similar to this one, but it was hard to get any definitive steps to take...I will try and be as brief but detailed as possible.

PC specs, system built in 2018:
PSU - Corsair CX550M Modular
CPU - Intel I3 8100
CPU cooler - Noctua NH-L9 x 65
RAM - G. Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (8 x 2) DDR4
Primary SSD - Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD, 250GB
Secondary SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SATA
Motherboard - ASUS Prime H370M Plus mATX

OK, so we had said lightning strike, and, when turning on the power toggle switch on the back of the PSU, the motherboard LEDs would light up for about 2-5 seconds, then dim away to off. Happened every time I switched the PSU on. Like most, I suspected PSU had been burnt out, and confirmed this by testing said PSU with a multimeter. Purchased an identical PSU, installed it this morning, and system is still doing the same thing.

Wondering where I go from here? Should I look at internal cables (PCI) next? Ram? SSDs? Is it the motherboard itself? Insurance is paying for it, so I can replace as much stuff as I need to...but I don't want to replace components unnecessarily.
Submit ALL your impacts to your insurance company. Bulbs, motors, wiring damage, etc. When lightning struck our house, there were MANY things that were damaged. If you can show a direct strike, insurance should cover some.

creator439

Commendable
Feb 15, 2019
Submit ALL your impacts to your insurance company. Bulbs, motors, wiring damage, etc. When lightning struck our house, there were MANY things that were damaged. If you can show a direct strike, insurance should cover some.

No problems there...we've had 3 TVs, 2 routers, internet service inside and outside components, satellite TV, PS4, Switch, XB360, PSVR, ADT system, cordless phone set, and now this PC...all is being covered!