Lightning

Casisiempre

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
I have a Proxim Orinoco AP-2000 that got damaged in a lightning storm. It was connected to a switch that got fried directly by the lightning. I believe the electricity traveled through the ethernet from the switch to the AP, frying the ethernet controller or something. Since the AP is no longer under warranty, I am trying to repair it, but am unsure how to proceed. I have already replaced a couple resistors that I could tell were fried, but can't see anything else that clearly has problems. Anyone have other ideas or know anything about the AP so I know where to even look? Thanks.

G

The IC's, and caps on the board are going to be much less hardy than the resistors you already replaced. After a lightning hit I wouldn't trust anything. With a schematic, and proper test equipment troubleshooting an overvoltaged design can be very hairy even for proffesionals. Maybe next to impossible for an ameture with not so great test equipment, and no schematics. To fix it by randomly replacing a few things here and there would be about as likely as winning the lottery or something close to that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's very unlikely you will have success doing that.

Not trying to rain on your parade it's just that I've been in those shoes before.