Question New processor for a motherboard

Jul 27, 2024
I want to upgrade the processor of a desktop. The desktop is Inspiron 580s by Dell. The motherboard is named in the PC as "Dell inc a00".
I also have the serial number of the motherboard, but I don't know if I'm supposed to keep that information private or not.

How can I check which processor is compatible for my motherboard?

Jul 27, 2024
It turns out I was wrong, my motherboard's name is Dell 0c2kjt.

After some research I found out some compatible processors. I picked Intel core i5 760. However, that processor requires 95 wattage which is 22 more Watts than the current processor. Also, the new processor does not have integrated graphics card, so I need to add one graphics card. I managed to find one that consumes little watts, only 19. This means that changing the processor and adding the video card will increase wattage by 41. The Power Supply Unit is rated at 250 Watts max.
I will also need to change my CPU fan. The new one consumes 10 watts.

Now my question is, how do I find out how many watts my motherboard and current fan consume? I can't find that information anywhere. I need to know this, to know if my current PSU is compatible with the upgrades.

Jul 27, 2024
Do you have any manner of actual budget and alongside that, what type of use case is this PC for? Where are you shopping?

Hard to recommend doing any manner of update to a system bound in first gen Core.
My budget is 30 US dollars. That is enough to buy the three components I specified. The GPU has 0.5GB of memory and 650Mhz of core clock.

This PC will be used only to browse the internet, watch 1080p videos and images and sometimes do backups of 500GB at most of data.

Jul 27, 2024
Considered a fresh OS install?
What OS is it?
Lol, I was also going to ask what OS you are on?

Windows 7 Ultimate N. I'm still researching Wich OS is best for me. I want Windows though.

I don't think a fresh OS install will help, as it doesn't has any program installed, other than basic things like a browser or Paint.
The drive isn't used at near it's maximum capacity, and there aren't too many files nor folders.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Windows 7 Ultimate N. I'm still researching Wich OS is best for me. I want Windows though.

I don't think a fresh OS install will help, as it doesn't has any program installed, other than basic things like a browser or Paint.
The drive isn't used at near it's maximum capacity, and there aren't too many files nor folders.

I would consider your trying one of the lite versions of various Linux distro on this. It will still be slow, but less overhead should make it run a little better, and it will be more secure. W7 is basically dangerous to run at this point on a PC with no power to also run AV even if another program was installed.

You should save your $30, save up a few more $30, and look for a used business platform from Dell or HP in the 4th gen at minimum, and really as new as possible at this point. Even that is OLD, but makes a world of difference. $100 could go a long way here.

USAFRet

Titan

Windows 7 Ultimate. Dare I ask where this $400 OS license came from?

But....any ad blockers? A lot of times, ads can bring a poor CPU to its knees.

Jul 27, 2024
I would consider your trying one of the lite versions of various Linux distro on this. It will still be slow, but less overhead should make it run a little better, and it will be more secure. W7 is basically dangerous to run at this point on a PC with no power to also run AV even if another program was installed.

You should save your $30, save up a few more $30, and look for a used business platform from Dell or HP in the 4th gen at minimum, and really as new as possible at this point. Even that is OLD, but makes a world of difference. $100 could go a long way here.
Thank you for your help, but I really need to stay with Windows. This isn't a PC for me, it's for someone else who doesn't want to buy a new PC.
I will try installing AVG antivirus I think the PC will run it easily.

Windows 7 Ultimate. Dare I ask where this $400 OS license came from?

But....any ad blockers? A lot of times, ads can bring a poor CPU to its knees.

I don't know where it came from, because I don't own the PC.
No ad blockers. Are there someones you suggest?

cAllen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
With this units proprietary motherboard and build, changing to an SSD is the only "real world" performance improvement you can make hardware wise. Anything after that is just throwing away good money on nominal improvements...at best...that would be better used toward a new box. Just my friendly. (y)

FWIW...I stretched my 775 build for 14 years before replacing it.

Last edited: