[SOLVED] Lightroom build

Feb 23, 2020
Hello,

My PC was OK a decade ago - 2500k, 770 lightening GPU, 8gb ram. I'm in to photography, i was scraping alone with lightroom. Upgraded my 1080p monitor to a 4K 27 inch IPS panel and I can't do any processing without everything crashing. Very annoying. New rig time! I've copied the template as advised! Any help appreciated:

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: £800-1100 (maybe 1200 if required)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Lightroom. Casual gaming (only 60hz monitor so nothing too strenuous). (very very rarely photoshop. Plus, future proof in case i get in to video work would be ideal)

Are you buying a monitor: No. Recently purchased LG 27inch 4k IPS panel

Parts to Upgrade: I think its all too old now

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, Win 7 obsolete. Need windows 10.
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Flexible. ideally a rig I can select and order from one place. Or is separate buying much much cheaper?

Parts Preferences: I have read the AMD Ryzen processors are perhaps better for lightroom currently?

Overclocking: If very reliable and done by someone else

SLI or Crossfire: Not required I think.

Your Monitor Resolution: 4K

Additional Comments: Lightroom, casual gaming. Gaming 4k would be cool, but doesnt need to be maxed out. Mainly content creation. Possible video in the distant future - a system with upgrade options in this case perhaps? Like a flexible motherboard?

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Since I got my 4k screen lightroom doesnt work. The 30-40mb raw files, importing and mass editing 1000+ files, rendering previews, is killing my computer, and my desire to live. Plus windows 7 is old now.

My thoughts:

AMD Ryzen 3700x (or 3800x?)
16gb RAM 3000mhz (i read any lower for Ryzen is a bottle neck?
Unsure for GPU. 2060 super? Overkill for lightroom?
SSD of some kind (photos on here and lightroom could save me hours i've read, but never used one before).
Air cooled or liquid?
Wifi - i use wifi for internet so a fastish wireless configuration would be beneficial

Thank you!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Actually, you can upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free still
https://www.howtogeek.com/266072/yo...ws-10-for-free-with-a-windows-7-8-or-8.1-key/

And you can transfer the licence to your new system. e.g. by tying it to an MS account
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-transfer-windows-10-license-new-computer-or-hard-drive

So that's like £90 saved right there, that could be invested back into hardware.

Maybe something like:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor (£281.07 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU...

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020

https://www.howtogeek.com/266072/yo...ws-10-for-free-with-a-windows-7-8-or-8.1-key/

And you can transfer the licence to your new system. e.g. by tying it to an MS account
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-transfer-windows-10-license-new-computer-or-hard-drive

So that's like £90 saved right there, that could be invested back into hardware.

Maybe something like:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£43.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard (£215.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£127.66 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£139.97 @ Box Limited)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card (£269.95 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case (£72.48 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£60.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Total: £1211.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-27 04:29 GMT+0000

32gb RAM can be advantageous for Lightroom
As can a powerful GPU, though depends on your workloads.
The 3800x does very well in lightroom
The SX8200 Pro is an exceptionally fast SSD
And the X570 board supports PCIe 4.0 SSDs, which will be even faster, once the tech matures a bit. It also includes wifi.
The PSU is very decent, and the Fractal Define S is a good thermal performer and not too flashy. The CPU cooler is a reasonable low/mid-budget choice.

Solution
Feb 23, 2020

Maybe something like:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£43.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard (£215.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£127.66 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£139.97 @ Box Limited)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card (£269.95 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case (£72.48 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£60.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Total: £1211.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-27 04:29 GMT+0000

32gb RAM can be advantageous for Lightroom
As can a powerful GPU, though depends on your workloads.
The 3800x does very well in lightroom
The SX8200 Pro is an exceptionally fast SSD
And the X570 board supports PCIe 4.0 SSDs, which will be even faster, once the tech matures a bit. It also includes wifi.
The PSU is very decent, and the Fractal Define S is a good thermal performer and not too flashy. The CPU cooler is a reasonable low/mid-budget choice.

Thank you so much for replying. That seems great. I have a couple of quick questions:

1 - Would I see a noticable difference by pushing my budget for a 5700XT or a 2060 super?

2 - Is that 3200 RAM speed crucial, or does 3000 also do the same job?

3- Would you usually get a conventional 2TB sata HD in addition to the SSD, or only SSD is fine? (I have an external drive for backups)

4- Would standard air CPU cooling work to save money? or are there good benefits from the water cooler? I note the 120mm and 240mm versions are the same price, is the 120mm worse?

5- Mobo. The X570 prime is a bit cheaper than X570 TUF. Is that suitable?

I'm basing it all around what you said, just curious about a few things!! Thanks so much

Last edited:

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
1) depends on your workloads.

2) 3200MHz or 3600MHz is usually considered ideal and 3200MHz costs little more than 3000 MHz.

3) Depends how much storage you need - if budget is tight you can always add storage later, and adding a component like an extra HDD is more cost effective than upgrading a component you already bought

4) The 240mm one is better, yes. The way the CPUs work, the cooler they are, the faster they run (the higher the boost frequencies they main). I originally suggested the H100x, but had to drop it for budget reasons. I'd certainly recommend an after market cooler rather than the stock cooler for your uses.

5) It doesn't have wifi which partially negates the savings. The TUF is an excellent board with very good VRMs + cooling, especially for one of the least expensive X570 mobos out there. If you want a cheaper mobo then go with:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...atx-am4-motherboard-b450-gaming-pro-carbon-ac
which is still a solid mobo

Feb 23, 2020
1) depends on your workloads.

2) 3200MHz or 3600MHz is usually considered ideal and 3200MHz costs little more than 3000 MHz.

3) Depends how much storage you need - if budget is tight you can always add storage later, and adding a component like an extra HDD is more cost effective than upgrading a component you already bought

4) The 240mm one is better, yes. The way the CPUs work, the cooler they are, the faster they run (the higher the boost frequencies they main). I originally suggested the H100x, but had to drop it for budget reasons. I'd certainly recommend an after market cooler rather than the stock cooler for your uses.

5) It doesn't have wifi which partially negates the savings. The TUF is an excellent board with very good VRMs + cooling, especially for one of the least expensive X570 mobos out there. If you want a cheaper mobo then go with:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...atx-am4-motherboard-b450-gaming-pro-carbon-ac
which is still a solid mobo

Thanks again. I'm not confident to build it myself, so i've picked the parts you'd mentioned as close as I can from an online builder I know is fairly good. This gives me some warranty too. How does this look? Its similar price to yours.

Case: Corsair 220T Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Tempered Glass Side Panels (OEM – No Fans) (White Colour)

CPU (Processor): AMD Ryzen 7 3800X - 8-Core 3.90GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo - 32MB L3 Cache Processor, Pro OC Compatible (No On-board Graphics)

CPU Overclocking: No Overclocking

CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 240 Liquid Cooling System w/ 240mm Radiator, Extreme OC Compatible (Cooler Master CPU Water Cooling, Extreme OC Compatible)

Motherboard: ASUS Prime X570-P: ATX w/ RGB, PCIe 4.0, USB 3.2, SATA3, 2x M.2 (not TUFF as system has wireless see below)

Memory (RAM): 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4/3200mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance LPX w/Heat Spreader)

Graphics Card (GPU): MSI GeForce® RTX 2060 6GB - DX12®, VR Ready, HDMI, DP - 4 Monitor Support (Single Card)

PSU (Power Supply): Cooler Master MWE 550W 80+ Certified Gaming Power Supply

M.2 SSD Drive: 1TB (1x1TB) ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD - 3500MB/s Read & 3000MB/s Write (Single Drive)

Wireless Networking: Intel® Wireless 9260 Wi-Fi 802.11ac Dual Band (2.4 GHz & 5GHz (160Mhz)) up to 1.73Gbps w/ PCI-E Adapter & Dual Antennas

Sound Cards: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD AUDIO

Operating System: None - Format Hard Drive Only This system will NOT INCLUDE any operating system. You will need your own operating system to install for this system to function properly

DESKTOP STANDARD WARRANTY: 3 Year Labour, 2 Year Parts, 6 Month Collect and Return plus Life-Time Technical Support

Price: £1296 inc Value added tax (VAT)

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
The case has no fans, the PSU is really low end, and I've no idea if the mobo is any good.

You might also want to shop around other UK custom builders, there are several that are very good. You can generally tell by the trustpilot scores.