Linking multiple repeaters?

supremeone77

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Okay so currently I connect to the internet of a friend's house that is 2 doors down, using a linksys n router converted to a repeater with ddwrt software, and place it next to a window and just use a dual band internet adapter. It works okay, but the repeater turns off sometime. The houses are separated by one house in the middle. I usually have internet adapter and repeater at the for t of the houses to get a better connection.

I want to see if I can get a more stable setup for when friends stay over and want to access the internet, and maybe setup a chromecast or firestick 4th setup.

Is it possible to buy 2 new repeaters, one for both houses? Or could I just buy one real strong repeater? Please help.

Solution
You can't really hook a repeater to a repeater. You could if you worked at it very hard using dd-wrt but it will require you to learn lots of stuff because it is not the standard repeater. You would run one of the connections as a router wan port rather than a repeater using WDS.

Your best bet is to put outdoor equipment at both ends. They are designed to work with clear line of sight between them like on your roof going over the house in the middle. At shorter distances it should in theory work similar to how you have it working but since it is outside the signals on both ends should be stronger.

Look at ubiquiti web page. If you can get clear line of sight you can use their outdoor directional wireless bridge equipment...
You can't really hook a repeater to a repeater. You could if you worked at it very hard using dd-wrt but it will require you to learn lots of stuff because it is not the standard repeater. You would run one of the connections as a router wan port rather than a repeater using WDS.

Your best bet is to put outdoor equipment at both ends. They are designed to work with clear line of sight between them like on your roof going over the house in the middle. At shorter distances it should in theory work similar to how you have it working but since it is outside the signals on both ends should be stronger.

Look at ubiquiti web page. If you can get clear line of sight you can use their outdoor directional wireless bridge equipment. If you do not they have units that have omni directional antennas. The first option with directional equipment you will likely get good results. Trying to run it without line of sight there is no way to predict because you are in effect bouncing the signals around the house in the middle.

At some point it becomes easier to just buy your own internet connection.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
You might be able to use outdoor directional devices to create a point to point network if you could get them positioned to have a line-of-sight. But your friend could also lose their internet service because they are violating their user agreement. I agree with the above. Purchase your own internet service.

TRENDING THREADS