Linksys Reveals its Fastest Wireless AC Router Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
@smeezekitty - it isn't going to be used just for browsing the internet, more to do with WLAN and WAN transfer rates for streaming from home storage for example.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

The thing is that these days one can't trust the word of the fellow user since everyone has an awful experience against all brands. For instance you say Linksys is junk. I say Netgear is a POS, since I bought a Netgear N900 and it was worthless with horrible QoS and it reboots constantly and just yesterday I disconnected it and plugged back my old D-Link Dir-655. To me D-Link is a reliable brand, to others its junk and so on, so on.

Best solution is just to stress the shit out of any router you buy and return ASAP if it doesn't meet expectations.

"With your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account and App you can get access anywhere and anytime to media stored on a connected USB storage device or change settings of the router -- all from the palm of your hand."

That sounds an awful lot to me like saying that allowing the NSA access to ALL your data is actually a feature.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Bingo. Everyone hates something and, on the internet, there's some loud mouthed person to hate everything. Whatever brand of hard drive you buy? Garbage. Graphics card? Whatever one you pick, the other is better. Brand of PC? Died a week after they got it. Flash memory stick? Got ten writes then stopped working.

There are some good products out there. So many people blaming the whole brand for them being the unlucky ones to get a lemon is as bad as the people who will praise products out of blind loyalty whether it's good or not. Both ruin the reliability of user experience on a product.

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
All companies have good and bad designs. The N series from linksys were poor, but the WRT-54G which I am still using is rock solid.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
This should be good,it is a reference implementation of the SOC and wifi radio, meaning if linksys fails epically with the firmware. there will be a wide selection of 3rd party firmware.

When ever linksys does a reference design the router usually becomes regarded as a really good and stable router.

Their only successful non reference router was the WRT54g (V4 and lower, and GL)

Asus has been sticking mostly with reference implementations (essentially using all of the recommended parts and designs from broadcom, and thus they can use drivers from broadcom

From the description it seems to be the same technical design as the Asus RT-AC68U

Which uses this CPU http://www.broadcom.com/products/Wireless-LAN/802.11-Wireless-LAN-Solutions/BCM4707-4708-4709

and 2 BCM4360's

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Linksys quality declined substantially after the WRT54Gs. I have one of those, and also an RVS4000.

The '4000 has had poor firmware updates, has been buggy, and generally hasn't behaved at the "appliance" level that I would have liked. I haven't used the VPN features, but have heard about issues with those as well. Ever since Linksys got bought by Cisco, it's been on a decline.

Linksys is a business that Cisco wanted to sell. That should tell you a lot about how much they were willing to invest in R&D.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
It's pretty expensive in my opinion.
I stream directly from my PC with Plex using my Smart TV, so that usb streaming thing with external hdd is useless and that 600 Mbps would be unreachable for me.
So, why should i be interested in spending that amount of money?
You can get the same features for a lot less.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Even thought they all suck i Switched to Netgear from Linksys. DDWRT will make most routers better though.

I installed DDWRT on my Netgear 3500L and have not rebooted it in months. i could go a whole year wthout a reboot but i only reboot it when i want to change my IP from my ISP sine i have a MAC spoof.

rawcruester

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Would a router like this or the ASUS RT-AC68U improve my Wi-Fi internet speeds? I have a Linksys E2500 right now and it seems to slow down my internet speeds when using my iPhone or iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS