Linksys router block website

tomcross

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
When I try to use the access restrictions on a Linksys Router WRT54GS Firmware Version: v7.2.06 nothing happens! I've entered the MAC address and the IP address, re-checked all settings, and the computer I'm trying to restrict is still online. I see from other posts that I'm not the only one. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

How is the PC connecting to your network? Wireless or Network Cable? If wireless did you set up the wireless Security? Did you try changing the Key Phrase?

Did you try to set up Access Restrictions? Set up a Internet Access Policy to Deny access based on MAC address.

tomcross

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

Thanks for your reply.
The computer I would like to restrict is a Mac laptop, connecting to the internet over a wireless network generated by the WRT54GS.
I have tried to set up Access Restrictions using the router settings to restrict access based on the airport card MAC address. Nothing happens. I have spent several hours reviewing the settings to be sure they are correct, erasing and re-setting them, etc.

If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them. it seems like this should be simple - there are many websites explaining in detail how to restrict access with the Linksys - I've followed all the instructions. Interestingly, it seems to work for some people but not for others based on responses I read.

Check out this link for a typical post with replies:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1609773/how_to_block_websites_using_your_home_pg2.html?cat=25

I would greatly appreciate any help if you have any other input.

Tom

Here are important information and the issues that have been fixed since Firmware Version 7.2.06

General Notes:
- This firmware is compatible with WRT54GS hardware version 7.2 only. Please check the bottom of your router to make sure you have the correct version.
- Disconnect all wireless clients from the router during the upgrade process. Make sure NO wireless clients attempt to associate with the router until the upgrade process is complete.

Firmware 7.2.08 build 001
- Resolves issue with UPnP denial of service security vulnerability.

Firmware 7.2.07 build 013
- Resolves issue with not being able to block IPSec pass-through.
- Resolves issue with router disconnecting from few particular online game servers.
- Resolves issue with user not being able to get incoming video and audio when video phone is connected to the LAN hosted by the router.
- Resolves issue with WEP 64-bit key not being properly validated when user enters the key.
- Resolves issue with disabling UPnP not being effective until the router is rebooted.
- Resolves issue with Wireless MAC Filter not working properly when there are more than 32 entries in filter list.
- Resolves issue with DNS vulnerability.
- Better handling of TCP packet with invalid option field.
- Updated TZO.com DDNS service support.
- Adds PPPoE service name support.
- HNAP 1.2 support.

tomcross

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

In regard to your earlier suggestion to change the key, I am using WPA personal as my security code which doesn't offer that option.
I tried re-booting the router, blocking still doesn't work

When I review the issues resolved by upgrading the firmware, I don't see my issue mentioned. It's unclear to me how this would make a difference, as I have several different Mac OS versions on this network and none are blocked.

However, if you really think it would help, I'll give it a try. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Tom

Resolves issue with not being able to block IPSec pass-through.

IPSec is what the firewall in your router is using to control traffic.

Disconnect all wireless clients from the router during the upgrade process. Make sure NO wireless clients attempt to associate with the router until the upgrade process is complete.

Therefore I would disable the wireless before updating the firmware.

Latest posts