Linus Torvalds Dropped Christmas F-Bomb on Kernel Developer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]d_kuhn[/nom]He's got a lot of 'emotional capital' invested in Linux, and he gets pretty aggressive when someone does something that could hurt the brand. Clearly, a bug that lets user programs crash the kernel is a huge problem and loose cannon developers are a large risk exposure for Linux (and open source in general). I don't think his response was out of proportion to the problem he was addressing.[/citation]If Torvalds doesn't like the open source process, maybe he should make a closed source kernel. :p

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]rds1220[/nom]I am not saying to be a puss and let people walk all over you but being an arrogant asshole is not right either. If you think that is the way to handle things in the business world than you have no exprience in the real world or you have a very sadistic boss. If I treated people like that I would hae no workers and no compters to fix.[/citation]

patton would eat you for breakfast, if that broken POS kernel was made wrong and it cost some one their life or did injury in some way or cost some one millions of dollars while the jackwad who made the error is trying to pass blame off on a user or app maker that everything worked JUST PERFECTLY FINE ON BEFORE IN THE PREVIOUS KERNEL that Linus is being a stuck up prick?

sounds more like your a fanboi of the a-hole who just potentially ( because nothing has made the press of redhat linux bug kills village full of people or cost XYZ incorporated 3.4 billion loss) cost some one tons of money or bodily harm to the point of death

oh by the way there is also this
Fix your f*cking "compliance tool", because it is obviously broken.
when you have to meet compliance directives in order to be able to sell the kernel and you purposely DON'T and then get caught is alot like avoiding federal or international laws to get out of paying extra for something done right or you're just to lazy to fix.

go ahead justify ruining a fragile product and not deserving a big blankity blank blank BLANK out by the guy who created it.

God: it took me 7 days to create all this and a greater amount of time and effort and forethought into making it perfect

Lucifer in snake form: ya? well it's all Eve's fault, i didn't do anything except put the finishing touches on the latest version

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]batkerson[/nom]Early in my programming career, a professor drilled it into me the following: a monkey should be able to type gibberish into any program and the program should not break.[/citation]Monkey-testing is bread and butter of software testing. Unfortunately, coding a monkey test itself is usually a challenge on its own.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002

I think its developers who don't follow the rules that get his panties in a bunch... not the open source process. :D The problem with developers is that most of us think we're gods gift to coding, so getting through our armor of coding perfection (+5 to blame avoidance) sometimes takes a big stick, or a few f-bombs.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]rds1220[/nom]I am not saying to be a puss and let people walk all over you but being an arrogant asshole is not right either. If you think that is the way to handle things in the business world than you have no exprience in the real world or you have a very sadistic boss. If I treated people like that I would hae no workers and no compters to fix.[/citation]

That's probably because you work in an environment that allows for mistake.
These guys don't have that type of luxury.
It's like if one of your employees made a mistake that negatively impacted one of your customers and then your employee proceeded to blame your customer because he happens to be a customer and customers are pains in the ass. If you tolerate that then you're equally sadistic and will eventually run out of customers. People don't base their choice of OS based on how polite the kernel maintainers are. And that is a fact. If you had any real world experience you would know that people say mean things sometimes and the ones at fault sometimes have to bite the bullet.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I know the world owes Torvalds big by creating Linux, but he has no right to put his middle finger up like that. What a jerk.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I know the world owes Torvalds big by creating Linux, but he has no right to put his middle finger up like that. What a jerk.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ronch79[/nom]I know the world owes Torvalds big by creating Linux, but he has no right to put his middle finger up like that. What a jerk.[/citation]

Of course he has! It's his f*cking OS!

G

Linux Torvalds is right...too bad Linux (the OS, not the guy) still sucks.

By the way...Europeans tend to think that English speakers swear a lot. But, they really don't. Maybe that's why Linux thought that he should use such words, being not a native speaker of English.

Status
Not open for further replies.