Linus Torvalds Dropped Christmas F-Bomb on Kernel Developer

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Torvalds is a jerk. He won't even make my Pentium faster.

batkerson

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Good for Linus Torvalds! A kernel should never break, only throw a meaningful error message. Period. Early in my programming career, a professor drilled it into me the following: a monkey should be able to type gibberish into any program and the program should not break. This is even more important for a kernel, even if an outside developer does program crap. Linus's goal is to maintain the quality of the kernel and of the product, and bravo for Linus! And shame on Mauro Chehab. . .maybe he'll learn this lesson!

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Someone dropping "f" bombs(what are we six years old?) isn't really newsworthy. People say fuck, it's not that big of a deal.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Someone sure is saddle chapped and rump frustrated.

Tom's the Authority on Tech. Is this even news?

Will it make my pentium go faster and can it run Crysis?

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
He's got a lot of 'emotional capital' invested in Linux, and he gets pretty aggressive when someone does something that could hurt the brand. Clearly, a bug that lets user programs crash the kernel is a huge problem and loose cannon developers are a large risk exposure for Linux (and open source in general). I don't think his response was out of proportion to the problem he was addressing.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hate machine[/nom]Someone sure is saddle chapped and rump frustrated.Tom's the Authority on Tech. Is this even news?Will it make my pentium go faster and can it run Crysis?[/citation]

better than ipod this ipad that apple sued apple the final showdown.

[citation][nom]tului[/nom]Someone dropping "f" bombs(what are we six years old?) isn't really newsworthy. People say (fbomb), it's not that big of a deal.[/citation]

on a website that sanctions you for any use of a bad word, yea news worthy.
linus getting mad and it getting public over a bad kernal, that is also somewhat news worthy, but the way its reported, its like they dont thing bad words are common in our language.

Yes it is a big problem and yes it shouldn't happen. However he doesn't have to be such an arrogant prick about it. All that is going to do is piss off your workers and make people hate you.

threefish

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
The majority commenting here don't know the difference between user space and kernel space, so don't be alarmed that the comments reflect that lack of perspective.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rds1220[/nom]Yes it is a big problem and yes it shouldn't happen. However he doesn't have to be such an arrogant prick about it. All that is going to do is piss off your workers and make people hate you.[/citation]

oh im sorry, but i think... um... you know... you may... just may have... botched this kernal... im sorry... forgive me

yea, you really thing that the above line gets the point across.
he not only cale him incompetent, but is showing that he puts himself to as high a regard as he asks from people.

you cant do that, quit, there are people who will gladly take your place, and may be less incompetent.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Torvalds should be pissed. Assuming that he does indeed know what he's talking about, and the real problem lies in Mauro's code and not the named program, then Mauro just tried to blame someone else for his own mistake. He's supposed to be one of the "guardians" of the kernel; there isn't some deeper layer that can trap his errors and recover. How many other laziness bugs might he allow in if someone doesn't jump all over him about this?

G

*clapping* THIS is the correct attitude. No cuddling. No excuses. If only the same thing would happen to those fucking clowns in government. This world would be a much better place.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]oh im sorry, but i think... um... you know... you may... just may have... botched this kernal... im sorry... forgive meyea, you really thing that the above line gets the point across. he not only cale him incompetent, but is showing that he puts himself to as high a regard as he asks from people. you cant do that, quit, there are people who will gladly take your place, and may be less incompetent.[/citation]

I am not saying to be a puss and let people walk all over you but being an arrogant asshole is not right either. If you think that is the way to handle things in the business world than you have no exprience in the real world or you have a very sadistic boss. If I treated people like that I would hae no workers and no compters to fix.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
[citation][nom]rds1220[/nom]I am not saying to be a puss and let people walk all over you but being an arrogant asshole is not right either. If you think that is the way to handle things in the business world than you have no exprience in the real world or you have a very sadistic boss. If I treated people like that I would hae no workers and no compters to fix.[/citation]

If you don't have enough of a spine to stop problems like these while they're being created, then you're gong to end up with a compilation of utter junk. It's called quality control, and bad things happen when you don't enforce it. Don't blame your own failures on another person's perfectly fine work, and your boss will have no reason to be 'sadistic'.

More about the article, though... goddamn, Linus; stick it to 'em. When someone else completely botches a piece of code and then shovels it off on someone else's work, it would be unacceptable NOT to do exactly what he did. Nice to see someone who still stands for doing it right the first time, and not patching the patches that were supposed to fix the originally broken code.

Status
Not open for further replies.