News Liquid-cooled laptop features AMD EPYC 64-Core Zen 4 CPU and RTX 4080 desktop GPU — vendor promises RTX 4080 Super upgrade down the line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian D Smith

Commendable
Mar 13, 2022
China has become what Japan was in the past - they can do anything when it comes to stuff like this. It may not look pretty, but nothing ever does in it's first generation.

Reactions: adamboy64

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
On my LAP this is NOT, a LAPNOT if I ever saw one.

There are proper names for these machines, the first Portables were even bigger (they Kaypro comes to mind), if probably not as heavy.

Then there is the Luggable category, which this hopefully fulfills, althought perhaps this should just be called a carry-on-server.

It's great to have these choices and I like that these guys are really exploring every niche.

Hopefully the quality and robustness can keep up.

Rob1C

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016
Quote from website (translated):

"... The special equipment card provided can also be pre-installed for customers (accepts an additional card, IE: one free slot). The whole machine uses a lightweight aluminum alloy anodizing process and is available in a variety of colors (black, Silver, gold, rose gold, blue, purple, red).".

BTW: The "Acer Predator 21 X" is 568 x 315 x 83 mm (22.36" x 12.40" x 3.27"). Almost twice as thick, and larger than this enormous 420 x 325 x 46 mm.

1_rick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2014
"Zhanjiang Xinjuneng also says that the REV-9 can be upgraded to the RTX 4080 Super, which is interesting since it hasn't come out yet, and Nvidia hasn't even acknowledged its existence."

Well, if it's a server motherboard, as I've seen speculation suggesting, then of course it'll support the 4080 Super, if and when such card is revealed, because it probably has a regular PCIe slot. That means it'll almost certainly support a 5080, too, even though *that* hasn't been announced either.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
On my LAP this is NOT, a LAPNOT if I ever saw one.

There are proper names for these machines, the first Portables were even bigger (they Kaypro comes to mind), if probably not as heavy.

Then there is the Luggable category, which this hopefully fulfills, althought perhaps this should just be called a carry-on-server.

It's great to have these choices and I like that these guys are really exploring every niche.

Hopefully the quality and robustness can keep up.
Hahahhahahahha! LapNot made me laugh out loud! Thank you.

Reactions: Order 66

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
More laptop makers should offer models like this. It is still pretty portable, and if they can give it a decent battery. For example, make a backpack version of a battery pack like in the image below, and a decent set of DC to DC buck converters, they could have a nice portable laptop for basic productivity work while on the go.
lsMmK8h.png

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
I rest my arms on the table when typing on a laptop, with this one here being so elevated, I doubt I'd be able to use it comfortably. I'd have to carry around some kind of arm support to place in front of that laptop. I'm just not sure about this product.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I rest my arms on the table when typing on a laptop, with this one here being so elevated, I doubt I'd be able to use it comfortably. I'd have to carry around some kind of arm support to place in front of that laptop. I'm just not sure about this product.
I’m guessing you would have to use an external keyboard. I don’t think i would be able to type on it either.

RandomWan

Prominent
Sep 22, 2022
I'm assuming an exterior reservoir/pump. Definitely a portable workstation and not a laptop. It better have a desktop GPU with that footprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.