Question liquid cooling 240mm

mahmoudkito

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2016
hello, iam planning to buy a 240mm water cooler for i5 12600k but my case is cooler master haf 912 combat can i instal a 240mm water cooler in this case
and take into consideration that on top of the case there is a place for two 120mm fans or a 200mm fan that i can apply
but the rear of the case there's only one place for a 120mm fan.
so is there any way that i could apply a 240mm water cooler in the case.

ID-COOLING ICEFLOW 240 ARGB CPU LIQUID COOLER -
ID-COOLING AURAFLOW X 240 SNOW CPU WATER COOLER 240 RGB CPU LIQUID COOLER

i want to get one of these two so is there any way possible that i could install it in the HAF 912 COMBAT

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I responded to this here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/liquid-cooler.3767352/
I suppose I should've been a little more specific.

The HAF 912 Combat does not officially support 240mm AIOs. It does however, support custom liquid 240mm - that's why those round grommets are there at the back.

iu

Neither of those coolers would work, unless you want to do it lopsided like this:
iu

Reactions: mahmoudkito
Should be easy for you to check since you own the case. The rad is 285mm long on the iceflow and 275mm on the auraflow. That's 23-18mm (respectively) above and below the 120mm fan mounts of extra space you'd need.

Is there any way to convince you to go air cooling instead for basically the same temps at nearly half the cost and no risk of pump failure?
https://us.deepcool.com/products/Cooling/cpuaircoolers/AS500-CPU-Cooler/2021/8616.shtml

mahmoudkito

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2016
I responded to this here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/liquid-cooler.3767352/
I suppose I should've been a little more specific.

The HAF 912 Combat does not officially support 240mm AIOs. It does however, support custom liquid 240mm - that's why those round grommets are there at the back.

iu

Neither of those coolers would work, unless you want to do it lopsided like this:
iu
can i install the 240mm cooler like in the second picture and if i can is there any problems that i may face?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
can i install the 240mm cooler like in the second picture and if i can is there any problems that i may face?
That picture is just one example. Like that, they've got some air leaking out instead of going all the way through, and that's just going to hinder performance.
You might not be able to get it to fit at all. The radiators are a wild card here, as there is no standard in dimensions other than the width; length and depth will vary.

Unless you mount only the radiator on the inside, and the fans on the outside... but then you have to deal with people/things touching the fan blades.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That picture is just one example. Like that, they've got some air leaking out instead of going all the way through, and that's just going to hinder performance.
You might not be able to get it to fit at all. The radiators are a wild card here, as there is no standard in dimensions other than the width; length and depth will vary.

Unless you mount only the radiator on the inside, and the fans on the outside... but then you have to deal with people/things touching the fan blades.

Just add fan grills at that point, though you might need custom length screws to get through grills, the chassis and the fans.

I've done worse.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Just add fan grills at that point, though you might need custom length screws to get through grills, the chassis and the fans.

I've done worse.
I agree that they would need to go to a hardware store at that point, but I figure all that defeats the point of why they're insisting on going the AIO route: aesthetics.
This would be easily resolved with an air cooler:
-there's 175mm of clearance in there.
-it's not like there aren't any ARGB/RGB air coolers out there. There aren't many, but they exist. We would just need to know what store they shop from to suggest alternatives.

mahmoudkito

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2016

do you think if i get a 120mm liquid cooler will be fine for 12600k?
something like cooler master ml 120mm rgb
i want to get liquid cooler because it looks better and its performance is better than the air cooling also

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i want to get liquid cooler because it looks better and its performance is better than the air cooling also
Like tennis2 said, you can't even see most of the unit when it's actually running in the PC. Though you can see the LEDs...

I don't know where you got that info, but it is not an absolute; there are caveats that make that not 100% true, such as your case's compatibility being a good example.
It's compatibility for air cooling is way better compared to an AIO. Liquid cooling was an afterthought to Cooler Master in this one.

mahmoudkito

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2016
Like tennis2 said, you can't even see most of the unit when it's actually running in the PC. Though you can see the LEDs...

I don't know where you got that info, but it is not an absolute; there are caveats that make that not 100% true, such as your case's compatibility being a good example.
It's compatibility for air cooling is way better compared to an AIO. Liquid cooling was an afterthought to Cooler Master in this one.
do you think cooler master ml 120mm will be good for 12600k and i think it can be installed in my case without problems
another thing if i want to get an air cooler i want to get noctua and the only one available in my country is the chromax black and its very expensive
and i will not have access to ram as it's huge size will block my reach to ram.
so do you advice me to go with the cooler master ml 120mm?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No, it's junk. 120mm AIO only when a tower air cooler can't fit, and this is not one of those situations.

Why are you giving yourself so few options - only Noctua for the air cooler, noting how expensive it is?
Provide a link to the online shop you use, and we may be able to provide more reasonable options. If a link isn't available, then provide country and currency.
If that is no good, then I will concede to the other posters in this thread.

mahmoudkito

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2016
No, it's junk. 120mm AIO only when a tower air cooler can't fit, and this is not one of those situations.

Why are you giving yourself so few options - only Noctua for the air cooler, noting how expensive it is?
Provide a link to the online shop you use, and we may be able to provide more reasonable options. If a link isn't available, then provide country and currency.
If that is no good, then I will concede to the other posters in this thread.

Baraka Computer thats the shop and the noctua chromax black costs 2750 egyptian bound which equals 147 us dollar its very expensive
i will get 12600k and z690 UD AX from this shop and the only thing remaining is the cooler so if you can take a look in shop's available coolers would you recommend one for me

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This paints a huge picture. That is a very limited selection.
But believe it or not, the Cooler Master ML120L V2 RGB is actually MORE EXPENSIVE than the NH-D15 Chromax. The pricing on AIOs is deceptive.
AIOs getcha in cost over time. Those pumps don't last forever, costing you a brand new cooler. Fans are also finite, but they're far cheaper to replace.
So instead of costing 1600-1800LE one time, it's more like paying that amount over and over and over, every few years or whenever the pump fails. NH-D15 will just cost a lot up front, and will just require fan replacements.

I would go with the NH-D15, as it would cost you less over time.

mahmoudkito

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2016
This paints a huge picture. That is a very limited selection.
But believe it or not, the Cooler Master ML120L V2 RGB is actually MORE EXPENSIVE than the NH-D15 Chromax. The pricing on AIOs is deceptive.
AIOs getcha in cost over time. Those pumps don't last forever, costing you a brand new cooler. Fans are also finite, but they're far cheaper to replace.
So instead of costing 1600-1800LE one time, it's more like paying that amount over and over and over, every few years or whenever the pump fails. NH-D15 will just cost a lot up front, and will just require fan replacements.

I would go with the NH-D15, as it would cost you less over time.
you are absolutely right but i can't pay 2750 LE for the NH-D15 Chromax because iam on a limited budget, so if you can recommend another cooler from the shop
that would work fine on 12600k even if wanted to OC, it would be much appreciated

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
~Aiya... this is terrible, but so be it.

A)Cooler Master ML120 V2.
Doesn't require you to get crafty like with B, but OCing is off the table - Alder Lake cpus aren't good OCers anyway, unless it's LN2. For everyone else, getting the supplied auto voltage down is more productive.

B)ID Cooling - Either the Auraflow X240 Snow or Zoomflow 240X. Doesn't matter which.
Install ONLY the radiator on the inside, and the fans will go on top of the case, with the back side facing up. [Back side is the four arms connecting the middle to the rest of the frame.]
Get fan grilles, or DIY your own to go on top of the fans, to aid in preventing people from putting their hands/fingers in the blades.
The above will require you to go to a hardware store for longer screws - bring one of the AIO's screws with you to make it easier. The thread size should match, and it should be a few mm longer.

C)NH-D15.
On the off-chance you haven't actually purchased the K-cpu and Z-motherboard yet:
Get a 12600 non-K with a B-series motherboard, and that difference should cover the cooler. [A 12700 non-K may even fit in the budget, but it'll likely require a more robust B-series motherboard.]
This is assuming the motherboard options are any good...

Keep in mind that if you see signs of pump failure or it just fails, plus if it happens outside the warranty... you will be paying for a brand new cooler out of pocket.
That's it. I've played all my hands. Your turn to draw...

mahmoudkito

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2016
~Aiya... this is terrible, but so be it.

A)Cooler Master ML120 V2.
Doesn't require you to get crafty like with B, but OCing is off the table - Alder Lake cpus aren't good OCers anyway, unless it's LN2. For everyone else, getting the supplied auto voltage down is more productive.

B)ID Cooling - Either the Auraflow X240 Snow or Zoomflow 240X. Doesn't matter which.
Install ONLY the radiator on the inside, and the fans will go on top of the case, with the back side facing up. [Back side is the four arms connecting the middle to the rest of the frame.]
Get fan grilles, or DIY your own to go on top of the fans, to aid in preventing people from putting their hands/fingers in the blades.
The above will require you to go to a hardware store for longer screws - bring one of the AIO's screws with you to make it easier. The thread size should match, and it should be a few mm longer.

C)NH-D15.
On the off-chance you haven't actually purchased the K-cpu and Z-motherboard yet:
Get a 12600 non-K with a B-series motherboard, and that difference should cover the cooler. [A 12700 non-K may even fit in the budget, but it'll likely require a more robust B-series motherboard.]
This is assuming the motherboard options are any good...

Keep in mind that if you see signs of pump failure or it just fails, plus if it happens outside the warranty... you will be paying for a brand new cooler out of pocket.
That's it. I've played all my hands. Your turn to draw...
thank you so much, i decided i will get a new case gigabyte c200 glass i think it will be good for a 240mm liquid cooler and also for future use for other components
but which one should i go with the zoomflow or the auraflow snow edition which one perfrom better in cooling?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
gigabyte c200 glass
Not this thing again... I'm going to put it this way:
Cooler Master HAF 912 Combat: Ventilation is good, liquid cooling support is poor, air cooling support is good.
Gigabyte C200 Glass: Ventilation is poor, liquid cooling support is good, air cooling support is good.
A good cooler - be it air or liquid - isn't going to do well if it can't breathe...
A number of folks I helped in other threads who were using the C200 Glass had to get rid of this thing. [Well, there was an alternative to modify the front panel with a cutting tool, but I don't think any of them cared to take that option...]

which one should i go with the zoomflow or the auraflow snow edition which one perfrom better in cooling?
It doesn't matter which you pick. I said it for a reason earlier; they perform the same. The only difference is their looks.

mahmoudkito

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2016
Not this thing again... I'm going to put it this way:
Cooler Master HAF 912 Combat: Ventilation is good, liquid cooling support is poor, air cooling support is good.
Gigabyte C200 Glass: Ventilation is poor, liquid cooling support is good, air cooling support is good.
A good cooler - be it air or liquid - isn't going to do well if it can't breathe...
A number of folks I helped in other threads who were using the C200 Glass had to get rid of this thing. [Well, there was an alternative to modify the front panel with a cutting tool, but I don't think any of them cared to take that option...]

It doesn't matter which you pick. I said it for a reason earlier; they perform the same. The only difference is their looks.
ok i will go with another option
COOLER MASTER MASTERBOX MB511 ARGB MID TOWER CASE
what do you think of this one?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There are multiple alternatives to the D15, especially for a 12600k. The Noctua U12A, U12S, U14S, C12S, C14s, beQuiet DarkRock TF, Pro 3, Pro 4, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Slim, Deepcool Assassin 3, just to name a few that may or may not be far cheaper depending on customs and import and availability.

TRENDING THREADS