Liquid cooling and radiator placement

Vic 40 posted a pretty interesting youtube video comparing a top mounted radiator exhausting heated air out of the case, and a front mounted radiator blowing heated air out as well, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNAMxZgvves

what's interesting is that with an "Open" style GPU, CPU temp was 10C higher with radiator up top than with a front mounted radiator blowing it - pix is from USAFRet's post in the closed thread

nb1zbFW.png

i wouldn't have thought that possible, but i am curious what the CPU temp would have been with the front mounted radiator exhausting air into the case

But then with a "Blower" style GPU, CPU temps were nearly identical -

Hdt9kgW.jpg

In researching the difference between BLower style and Open style, the open style GPU's fan will drop to zero rpm when the gpu is at low temps, while the blower style GPU's fan never stops. As the Blower style uses a single fan I assume it's got a more aggressive fan blade pitch and turns at higher RPM.

Another item of interest in the two radiator positions, is about the negative air pressure in the case with the radiators blowing outward. With the radiator up top, you've got 3 fans exhausting out of the case plus the GPU exhausting air as well. With the front mounted radiator blowing out, the reviewer doesn't indicate where or which way the two NZXT fans are blowing, in or out.

With it exhausting outward, it would have been drawing cooler air from the bottom of the case than the top radiator sourcin warmer air..

The reviewer did use two additional 120mm fans, but didn't state which direction he employed them with the two radiator mountings . That's a question i also like answered.

But this video did change my opinion on front mounted radiators - i'm not convinced having them blow in is the best, but i am surprised at how close the temps were with the Blower style GPU

l suspect a lot is going to boil down to the individual case, and fan mounting

Ralph there are no guarantees to those pictured numbers as the variances are case, fans, AIO vs Custom Loop, the actual CPU overclock, etc., etc., etc..

That 9900K you're running is quite a toasty cpu, what overclocking have you reached with it, and what are your P95 26.6 load temperatures?

i'm at 4.9 all cores, no presets enabled (XMP, turbo boost etc0. Vcore is at 1.245V. I can run P95 V26.6 small FFTs pretty stably, and cores average 83-88/89C, with spikes to 92C with noctura D15S. Haven't explored 5.0, just didn't want to push
the cpu to 90C+ temps, FIgured i'd wait till i get my LC loop installed

The more i thoiught about that 10C difference, with the variables he left un-identified, i felt something was wrong with his test, that 10C difference is just too great for a different style GPU

TRENDING THREADS